Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kreem Removal

Default Kreem Removal

Does anybody know of a way to get old Kreem tank lining stuff safely out of my fuel tanks?

Fill the tanks to the top with MEK. After a day or so the liner will be dissolved and be loose. You will have to protect the paint.

Acetone also works well. Dale

I used PAINT REMOVER and a small (to help loosen the sealer) chain on another brand of tank sealer. Of course... you have to be extremely careful not to get any on the outside paint. I taped the whole area around the fill cap to help protect it. NOPE... I didn't get any on the paint and it worked.
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Lacquer thinner, acetone, MEK (if you inhale it too much, you'll have three-headed kids), paint remover... lots of solvents.

That stuff sucks. It's not that it doesn't work. It's that getting a tank clean enough to get it to stick is an industrial process and if you try it at home, Al Gore will send you nasty letters.

If you can 'immerse' the tank for days at a time in a good solvent, you will probably get it clean. We send gas tanks (mostly old cars) to Canada. No EPA means great chemical processes and Weird Al can't complain.... So if you want, I can take it up with my next load of tanks and get it sealed properly. Not expensive for a bike tank. PM me.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to try the MEK first.

At Bonneville they have discovered Nitromethane removes it in a hurry

I am going to remove a sealer from my tanks also. I bought some Acetone and also bought some lacquer thinner as I use it as a universal solvent. Well to my surprise, when I got home and read the label on the lacquer thinner it said "100% Acetone. Looking at several MSDS for lacquer thinner showed they contained acetone, MEK alcohol and other materials. I dont know if this is a new developement or not as I have used lacquer thinner for years and never knew it contained acetone.

Well, it's been five days and the MEK seems to be working, although taking it's time. I suspect if I had a way to agitate it there would be quicker progress. There is a huge expansion of the liquid at different temps. Like huge!!! The paint is not original so the expansion didn't bother me, I knew paint was needed. Will keep at it. Yeah!! A '65 Panhead!!