Thread: Attracting younger people

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

Default Attracting younger people

We are a smaller Club, The Bear Mountain Chapter, located in southern N.Y. on the Jersey line on the western side of the Hudson. We have found that ACTIVITY attracts people. Whether it is rides, that we have every couple weeks, or meetings, formal or social, that we have every few weeks, people want activity. We don't care if the bike is new, old, street, off road, American, foreign, or anything in between. We just had our first picnic this past weekend, and more than 30 bikes were on the ride, and 88 members and family were there. Young, old and everything in-between. To me, I believe the fact that we are very active, even over the colder non-riding times, was key to keeping people interested and attending events. Social media, such as frequent e-mailing members and our face-book page is also a big help in getting the younger people involved. For members that don't actively use social media or computers, I personally call and let them know of any upcoming events. People REALLY like the personal contact. Check out our face-book page, Bear Mountain antique motorcycle club and see.
    Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 09-30-2015 at 06:56 AM.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Here's something for the cold, non-riding months: Have a "movie night" at a regular club meeting. The movie, of course, should be about motorcycling. Don't forget the popcorn!
    Whatever you can do to make the club and its meetings fun, will attract new members and keep the ones you have.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com

1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp