Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to begin?

Quote Originally Posted by Onlybackroads View Post
    Hello everyone, I am 26 and recently became very interested in the antique motorcycle world.

-Sean in Tennessee
    Welcome Sean...
    You are gust of fresh air on this Forum! I doubt anyone in the 11,000 members of the AMCA would not tell you that in the earliest years of their entering the sport, we all started out with whatever parts we could afford and built our own motorcycle from there. I suggest you Google "Hand Built Show, and also Revival Cycles", both of Austin TX. Last year in it's second year over 20,000+ people your age attended this show. On display were 75+ "hand built" motorcycles built by younger 20/30-something aged enthusiasts. Every imaginable power plant, front end, frame, and format imaginable was on display. Might help you get inspired? Get back on this Forum whenever you need assistance. There is a wealth of knowledge, experience and we older enthusiasts do know where the piles of parts are. I also encourage you to contact The Confederate Chapter of the AMCA in TN. For probably $15 0r $20 you can join their Chapter and meet many members near you who will help your cause. The Cherokee Chapter of the AMCA here in TX/OK have a large number of 20/30-something aged members that we constantly help get into the sport.
    Last edited by stevekleincustom; 09-17-2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Fat Finger Typo's
    Steve Klein
    Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
    American Pre-teens - 1965
    AMCA Member 12176
    Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
    www.CherokeeAMCA.org
    Steve@SteveKlein.com
    Georgetown, TX USA

Steve, I'm not sure if I met you or not at the Pate swap meet this year, but I was the guy dressed up in 20's clothes pushing around a tribute Harley motorized bike that I built and was selling. That was a great show you guys put on!

As for the flathead V8 you guys were talking about, I saw one of those bikes at the Coker museum in Chattanooga, amazing!

I just recently joined the Music City chapter in Nashville, but I had to leave for a month as soon as I joined so I have yet to get to know folks in the club. Can't wait to get home at the end of this month and head down to Barber!

Find anything cool yet? I can't wait to see what you find.

Not yet, have been out of town so not able to buy anything. I'm going down to the Barber Vintage Festival and bringing a bike to sell so hopefully I can trade in on something cool down there!

Good luck! I've always wanted to make it down to Barber. Some day for sure. Hope you find something you like!

Wel I picked this guy up last week from a friend of a friend. He threw a bbq and i saw this sitting on his shelf, he decided to make me an offer i couldnt refuse so now ive got a big project!

image.jpg

Hell yeah! Let us know if you start a build thread, I'd love to watch along.

Although I have never owned a Brit bike, it seems they are available and do not cost an arm and a leg. Parts and support seem to be no problem. When you have one that is well sorted out, you will have a fun, good handling motorcycle that represents a wonderful era of motorcycling in America ('50s & '60s).
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com

1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Keating Wheel Company--1935 VL Ford Flatty. *M.A.D.DSCN1726.JPG **P.S. Or watch the YouTube Video (1935 Harley Davidson VL-V8 60HP).
    Last edited by JoJo357; 01-07-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: additional info.

Cool

sean - 45 was my first antique, still have it, smile every time i ride it. 3 speed, 50 mph tops. chicks dig them...