Thread: 20's era stop light

Default 20's era stop light

I'm considering restoring this accessory stop light, it looks very similar to the one seen in pictures of my Dad's JD.

i'd appreciate hearing how and where this light attaches to the bike. i can see the outline of what appears to probably have been a bracket n the back side of the main body or frame (if you will) of the light.

Also, where can i source the socket that goes on the exterior of main body.

i do not see a manufacturer's identify marks anywhere on the light.

Does anyone restore these lights ?

if i need to provide more information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Dad upon awakening.jpg2015-12-14 23.11.23.jpg2015-12-14 23.19.42.jpg2015-12-14 23.20.11.jpg2015-12-14 23.10.35.jpg

Just thought I'd bump this up so it can be seen easier and I so don't look like a hog.

Rod

Steve,

I have 2 lights like that, one without the top jewel, one with. Neither has any kind of mounting bracket. I mounted one on my 24 Chief last summer using a flat sheet metal bracket attached to the back of the stop light box with small bolts. I cut out a slot in the sheet metal and slid it down behind the original tail light and attached it to the license plate bracket with the plate bolts. I'll attach a picture or two. Also a picture of an original with a clamp attached that was clearly meant to wrap around the original motorcycle tail light housing.

You can easily restore this yourself. Paint the bucket, plate the bezel and make a new gasket. I painted the interior silver and used a 6 volt 50 watt halogen headlight bulb. It really lights it up and is only used for a brief time so it's not a huge load on the battery. Look at Restoration Supply for the fitting to go in the back of the light: http://www.restorationstuff.com/catalog.htmlStop light bracket.jpgIMG_0368.jpgIMG_0370.jpg

Hi Gene, thanks for your reply, great pictures and link ! yes, i do plan to restore the light myself, it's going to nee a little silver solder on a couple places, but overall it's a solid piece. i have a tail light socket for a Model T coming, hopefully it will be close if not exact. we'll see. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/light-sockets

that clamp set up is pretty nice. i'll need to make something up, once i have the tail light on the fender, then i can give mounting the stop light some thought.

Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new year.

Painting the inside of the body white will make brighter light than silver will.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Not to hijack the thread, but Lordamercy, what a load that JD is hauling! What is the backstory?
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

That's my Dad. i can only guess sometime late spring 1927, on his way from Cincinnati, Ohio to home in Hartington, Nebraska. He was going to school at the University of Cincinnati and was headed home for the summer with a roommate as a passenger. Born in 1906, he would have been 21 in the picture. So, i imagine he had his and his roommates belongings with loaded on the bike. I'll post another picture the load doesn't look so horrific. Apparently his roommate took a picture of him still asleep on the ground. And a picture of him in front of the main entrance of the high school he went to (same one i went to.)

Dad asleep on the road.jpghhslh.jpg

Great pictures Steve. You are so fortunate to have that kind of family history.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

On the back of this photo, Dad wote, "Vernie Swan as he headed West to Nebraska in 1927 for summer vacation form University of Cincinnati, O. to see his folks. Camping cargo loaded on a 1927 Harley-Davidson "74" and sidecar."

Dad upon awakening.jpg

Default Accessory Stoplight

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Swan View Post
    On the back of this photo, Dad wote, "Vernie Swan as he headed West to Nebraska in 1927 for summer vacation form University of Cincinnati, O. to see his folks. Camping cargo loaded on a 1927 Harley-Davidson "74" and sidecar."

Dad upon awakening.jpg
    Most of the stop lights like you have were used on cars/trucks when all they had was a small taillight on the left rear fender. They could of course also be added to motorcycles. The one you have is missing its flat steel bracket that was riveted on the back where the 2 small holes are. The bracket usually had a variety of holes so that it could be used in multiple applications. Yours is also missing the electrical plug. The plug is a 2-piece affair that has a single-pole contact for the light bulb and a threaded cap that covers the area where the electric wire is "screwed" in. I happen to sell NOS electric plugs for these type of lights. Thank you. Thank you.