Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1947 Chief paint inside fenders?

I like using a high zinc primer to add an extra level of protection against rust.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com

1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Has anyone used POR15 on the frame or other parts (like under the fenders)? To George - My dad and my son are aircraft mechanics. Zinc chromate used to be a favorite coating for chrome moly tubing in aircraft.
    Larry Gibson

I put POR 15 on a frame and some other parts a few years ago and then blasted it off about a week later a terrible finish in my opinion. I then refinished in single stage and was very pleased. Also POR 15 dose not have UV protection if remember correctly. I would not use it on anything that I was restoring. I gave what was left to a friend for his rusty snow plow and he said that it held up well. I think it has a use but I would not use it on a quality restoration. Just my opinion.
    Jim D

Quote Originally Posted by pisten-bully View Post
    Here's a question, on the 1947 order form that Yellow53 posted (thanks!) I had a copy of that order form but I never really noticed that for the entry trim level Clubman, on the listings of Accessory Groupings on the back, the seat is listed as "Standard Saddle". On the upscale Sportsman the seat is listed as "De Luxe Saddle". What's the difference between the two?
    The deluxe solo saddle had a small skirt and short fringes on the backside of the seat. The standard saddle had no skirt, no fringes. I believe the deluxe saddle was '46-48 only option.

Jim D - Just curious. You used the term "single stage" What does that mean?
    Larry

I used 3rd Dimension 5.0 urethane enamel 1985-1988 American motors black. The single stage will have UV protection in it and dose not need the second stage clear coat for protection. My paint came from a local auto paint supply house. On a two stage system you need the second stage for protection of the color coat. I am sure you have seen the cars and there paint when areas of the clear coat fails.
    Jim D

Hi,
    Oilcan's information is correct. I'm not sure about the years, but 46-48 sounds reasonable. Police solo seats have been known to have had extra padding and the seat edge protectors - even on the early 1950s Chiefs, but I don't think I have ever seen fringe on a Police saddle. Here are some photos of what are believed to be original deluxe solo saddles.

1946 Indian Chief Solo Seat A.jpg1946 Indian Chief Solo Seat B.jpg FRINGE.jpg 1947 Chief with original type solo seat fringe.jpg
    Last edited by Yellow53Chief; 09-05-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Photo added

Quote Originally Posted by jim d View Post
    I used 3rd Dimension 5.0 urethane enamel 1985-1988 American motors black. The single stage will have UV protection in it and dose not need the second stage clear coat for protection. My paint came from a local auto paint supply house. On a two stage system you need the second stage for protection of the color coat. I am sure you have seen the cars and there paint when areas of the clear coat fails.
    Jim D
    Thanks. I was confusing two part (like epoxy) with two stage (for UV protection).