Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1947 Chief paint inside fenders?

Default 1947 Chief paint inside fenders?

I'm refinishing all the sheet metal on my 1947 Chief. What color did the factory paint the underside of the fenders? I cleaned the dirt and road tar, but couldn't figure out what the original color might have been.

Thanks (First post since joining AMCA)

Larry Gibson

More than likely, a thin coat of the fender color. They didn't go to great lengths... but would have just sprayed the inside like the outside.

When we do vintage cars, we often spray a sealer inside fenders then paint body color on top of it. The rubberized/flexible sealer helps prevent 'inside dents' and rust starting inside the fender, and is indistinguishable from outside. You paint body (fender) color over the sealer.

For a motorcycle, this is a great way to proceed, since it keeps rock chips, etc. from transmitting through the fender and damaging the outside 'fine' finish.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Default Thanks. That's what I guessed but wanted to hear from those who know.

Quote Originally Posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
    More than likely, a thin coat of the fender color. They didn't go to great lengths... but would have just sprayed the inside like the outside.

When we do vintage cars, we often spray a sealer inside fenders then paint body color on top of it. The rubberized/flexible sealer helps prevent 'inside dents' and rust starting inside the fender, and is indistinguishable from outside. You paint body (fender) color over the sealer.

For a motorcycle, this is a great way to proceed, since it keeps rock chips, etc. from transmitting through the fender and damaging the outside 'fine' finish.

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not "restoring" to get points in judging, but I do enjoy making authentic repairs when possible.

Hi,
    From bikes I have stripped to bare metal, the underside of the fenders was painted the same color as the outer skin. For a 1947 Chief, the standard colors were Indian Red, Deluxe Black, and Seafoam Blue. Police bikes had more leeway concerning color, two-toning, etc.

1947 Indian Order Blank front.jpg1947 Indian Order Blank rear.jpg

Thanks for responding and thanks for the attachment. I will print it out and "order" my own 1947 Indian.
    Larry Gibson

Here's a question, on the 1947 order form that Yellow53 posted (thanks!) I had a copy of that order form but I never really noticed that for the entry trim level Clubman, on the listings of Accessory Groupings on the back, the seat is listed as "Standard Saddle". On the upscale Sportsman the seat is listed as "De Luxe Saddle". What's the difference between the two?
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

When my fenders were ready for paint, I put them in first and hung them upside down and painted the underside of them. After drying I flipped them upright and finished the paint.
    Jim D.

I like to paint fenders hanging upside down. Gets inside done and keeps stuff from settling on the paint. Dale

Umm, yeah. I don't hang upside down, the fenders do!! Dale

Thanks everybody. As the assembly progresses, I'm sure I'll have more questions, in spite of hundreds of photos taken during disassembly.