Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: denton meet

Wow, Away from the keyboard for a few weeks traveling since the Presidents meeting in Ohio, only to hear We at Eustis are not the only ones to feel pressure to move our date or stop a 20 year tradition or some other event is scheduled too close to our date. I have a Lot of respect for Lonnie after talking with him after the meeting, Denton Farms is a great venue that serves a good number of surrounding states. We have to recognize that AMCA members want to have input to the leaders, and some people are more skilled in their expression of ideas than others. Very few people can do 3 week ends in a row for multiple events unless you are close. the Trust Fund Babies that seem to be so vocal about attending all these wonderful swap meets and road runs forget the common man has a life, job and Family that come before they can escape and be with friends a few times a year.

Keep up the Good work Lonnie, but do not forget the members want to help not harm with ideas and suggestions.

Dear All;

We all also know that the world of motorcycling reaches far and wide and there are only so many weekends on the annual calendar. I suspect with so many organized events by so many more "for profit promoters", more independent Museums, Racing and Rally facilities looking to fill empty spots on their calendars and all the other organized motorcycle clubs other than the AMCA, the competition for enthusiasts time and dollars will only get more challenging. I applaud Lonnie and all whom fight this fight every year. Tough decisions are inherent. Hell...then at the end of it all you all get to deal with the weather!
    Steve Klein
    Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
    American Pre-teens - 1965
    AMCA Member 12176
    Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
    www.CherokeeAMCA.org
    Steve@SteveKlein.com
    Georgetown, TX USA

I’ve read with interest the two threads regarding the Denton/Southern National Meet since being Blue Ridge Chapter member and as this meet is the closest to me. I applaud the Coalition for all their efforts and managing a great meet! IMHO, the chosen time frame for the meet is a great time in NC (weather is what it is!). Sadly, I’ve noticed a decline in vendor attendance over the years. I’m going challenge all to brainstorm and/or offer suggestions how to bolster vendor attendance and improve this meet! I believe we can make the Denton/Southern National Meet a venue folks will choose over other meets/events occurring at or around the same time! Again, just my humble opinion!
    William
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

On one hand the new Barber event may distract from some vendor who must choose carefully which events to attend through the year, Oil prices and travel expenses are going down slightly and should help. I believe that a more expanded advertising campaign should be looked at. Handing out flyers to people at more local events early, and recruiting vendors that will pass them out across the country.

I have some experience with the marketing side of vending with Eustis and Pate, and I will offer this in a good faith effort to help those putting on this great meet. Please consider the following, if you are fishing in a bucket (AMCA) your possibilities are limited, Try standing in the bucket and fish everywhere outside the Bucket in the Antique world. My limited knowledge of the surrounding states is the same as with Texas. There has been a great growth of people in the North Carolina area, and how to reach out to these new people is key to growth.. not an easy task but talking about the revitalation of the meet is better than talking about the decline. Talk up the positives of the location and plan the social side to encourage more attendance.

I plan on Vending again next year at Denton Farms, and if asked I will help promote the event at the non AMCA events I attend, also Today is one of the last days to put a flyer into Davenport Program and reach a large number of vendors and enthusiasts (end of my three paragraphs) Shelby Withrow 940-748-2555

Shelby, I agree economics and profitability is the driving force when choosing vending venue. And with so many events and 52 weekends a year. . . . . choosing can be tough!

I searched the "southernnationalmeet.com" site hoping to find a 2016 flyer to start distributing - nothing to date. Does anyone from the coalition know when a flyer will be available? William
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

I would like to add that the AMCA plans on helping promote Denton in whatever capacity we can. I will also commit to promote to AMCA vendors that if they have to choose between the Barber event or Denton, please support Denton.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Kizer View Post
    I would like to add that the AMCA plans on helping promote Denton in whatever capacity we can. I will also commit to promote to AMCA vendors that if they have to choose between the Barber event or Denton, please support Denton.
    Very Wise move Keith, shows good faith in what the chapters bring to the table in Volunteers, events of Quality, and stability in scheduling over time. Barber is a big enough draw on its own to insure a large Crowd. Might I suggest club magazine could offer a extra free small ad for Denton Farms now that there is more issues closer together. People start their spring plans early. Shelby

Fishing outside the bucket was used for Rhinebeck. D.A and others had great flyers, billboards and magazine ads. that brought in a ton of tire kickers. No matter how well you guys to the meets or what location. It comes to to cost and time off for the average guy. 2 weeks off means 2 swap meets a year. Ebay is a swap meet every night!

Default Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    Fishing outside the bucket was used for Rhinebeck. D.A and others had great flyers, billboards and magazine ads. that brought in a ton of tire kickers. No matter how well you guys to the meets or what location. It comes to to cost and time off for the average guy. 2 weeks off means 2 swap meets a year. Ebay is a swap meet every night!
    Ebay IS like a swap meet every night. The problem is you never know if you are going to catch a keeper or a throwback. The problem is with the parts you want to throwback, that can be difficult and costly. At an AMCA meet you can see it, touch it, sniff it, if you care to and have a worth while one on one with the seller. There are more unscrupulous sellers on Ebay than at an AMCA meet.

Shelby exactly who are you implying to be a trust fund baby ? Is that what you think of some of the membership ? Maybe it has not occurred to you that there are some really hard working guys out that do ok or that maybe a few of the vocal people are retired. I think it s pretty disrespectful of you to make a statement like that.

Steve