Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1915 jd help

I like to keep things on this forum if possible and not redirect people away as I feel that doesn't help the AMCA and the survival of the forum.
    Anthony get yourself a 1915 Parts Book and read it thoroughly as it is all you will need.
    I've copied a couple of pages to give you some idea as to what sort of information gems it holds.
    See how the early part numbers reflect when certain parts where introduced. A not very well known fact.
    It's covers 1915 only models and is not one of the later multi-year ones that started later.
    Enjoy Tommo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Thanks a lot everyone for the help I very much. I just ordered a book see what that brings me. I ordered the newer ones as well I also have a 1917 and a 1925 in pricing together

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Anthony- where do you live?
    I live in northern Pennsylvania. In a small town in the middle of no where

I've put up a couple of photos of Berling mag pickups to illustrate how Berling marked their HT lead locations
    The front cylinder had an "F" on the base of the pickup and the rear one a "R" as you see in the photo.
    Apparently you bought these little disc's and they fitted snugly into the base of the pickup.
    I do have a marked pair on my bike in the collection but only have a rear one as a spare so I can't show you what the front "F" looks like without taking it off the bike.
    Just a bit of trivia that may interest some of you and I do have more NOS Berling pickups if anyone wants a set.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Eric giving link to info is a good thing.Hiding info is not.The Bosch is the only one shown in the '15 parts book-berling was later because of WW1

Duffey is correct. The Berling was used on 1918 and early 1919 models.
    Tommo, I could use a set of those Berling pickups for the magneto on my 1919 Harley opposed twin Sport model. PM sent.
    Mark

HD went back to Bosch because of reliability problems with the Berling-same thing Eric has found

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    HD went back to Bosch because of reliability problems with the Berling
    Is there a quote from HD factory records that shows this, or is it a guess based on the fact they went back to Bosch? The reason I ask is the assets of Bosch were seized by the U.S. during WWI and sold off at a very attractive price. This was the subject of a Federal investigation a few years later. Anyway, having paid very little for the assets, the owners of American Bosch likely would have been in a position to sell their magnetos at a lower price than other manufacturers could. Without more information about the switch back to Bosch this seems a more plausible reason.

Read it somewhere ,I wasn't there

My understanding is that Harley switched to a Dixie for 1917 and then the Berling for 1918 and part of 1919.
    It may have been due to forecasted availability issues with the Bosch because of hostilities or it may have been because of the German sounding name Bosch. In my opinion,the Dixie has a better design concept due to the way in which the pole shoes move with the advance/retard mechanism. I'm not sure if the execution is as sound as the design. I'm not a magneto expert in any way but I can see the merits of the design.
    Why did they switch back? Cost? Quality? Don't know.
    Mark