Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMCA Membership fees to increase to $40 in July

Quote Originally Posted by frichie68 View Post
    SOME of us are trying to get by on the whopping 1.7% COLA we got from social security this year. Of course it's not only this $10, everything else is up as well.
    I'm not trying to be dismissive, because this certainly is an important topic for the AMCA, but inflation has been pretty low the past few years. Yes, like you said, everything went up, but it went up by a pretty small amount. In fact, the Consumer Price Index for last year was 1.6% so the 1.7% COLA covered it. We could discuss whether or not there are inaccuracies in the official figures, but it's not like inflation was 10% and Social Security provided only 1.7%.

Magazines went from 4 to 6, a 33% increase in numbers but not necessarily a 33% increase in cost due to additional advertising, fixed costs spread over larger number of issues, etc. The $10 increase in dues is 25%, but I don't know how much of that increase, if any, is because of the magazine. No matter what the the reason for the 25%, it certainly is larger than the 1.6% inflation averaged over all goods and services. I'm not on the Board so I don't know the balance sheet. Presumably, those who are on the Board decided on the increase based on reasonable economic projections intended to keep the AMCA in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by jwl View Post
    ... Maybe the board should look into senior discounts for those on Social Security... I will send $10 to the first 10 senior members that can't afford the increase.
    That is a very generous offer. Luckily, I'm not in a position where I need to take you up on it, but you are to be commended for your generousity. But, as for senior discounts, I suspect nearly half the membership of AMCA would qualify so it wouldn't be simple to implement and still keep the balance sheet in the black without greatly increasing the dues for members who are under 65.

I doubt if a discussion like this would take place on the Antique Ferrari and Bugatti Owners Club website. Oversimplyfying a bit, motorcycles largely have been the interest of working class people, not hedge fund managers. Because of this, many AMCA members live on modest incomes when they are working, and even more modest pensions after they retire. Unfortunately, without knowing income and age distributions there's really no way to know how for many people a $10 increase will be a sufficient enough hardship to cause them to drop out. Obviously, no one wants to pay $10 more for anything, but if additional cash from dues is justified for the health of the AMCA, should it be $10 across the board or, say, $20 for those under 65 and no increase for those older? (or some other formula). This is a place where a bit of data is worth much more than pages of speculation and anecdotal "evidence."

I agree with every post on this topic. I like the way people like Shelby, Robbie, John L., T. Cotton, Jerry Weiland express themselves, and how obviously they love the AMCA. I think this club is diverse, and healthy and it shows in these posts. 40 bucks; I'll pay that in December, and enjoy the benefits for the rest of the year.

As a side note, I have a friend and AMCA member who loves to bitch about club politics. He says; why can't the magazine be more about projects, history, or tech. My short answer to him is always; contribute. The AMCA doesn't pay for these articles, it's our members who take the time, and make the sacrifices to share what they know. You can't get any more democratic than that.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by jwl View Post
    I, for one, would certainly hate to lose any senior members over a $10 increase in dues. The older members are a valuable asset to the club and a valuable connection to the past. Maybe the board should look into senior discounts for those on Social Security. They are already talking about helping out new young members (a good idea). In the meantime, while I certainly don't have "unlimited funds", I will send $10 to the first 10 senior members that can't afford the increase. Just send me your address and proof of age. I will send you a check for $10 made out to the AMCA. You can send it along with your $30 when renewing your membership. All I ask is in return is that you share some of your wisdom and experience with the next junior member that needs some guidance. John Lindemann
    John you are truly the kind of person this club needs in spirit and a very unselfish offer, Please allow me to point out the one problem with your post. To all reading this I apologize if it seems I am taking anything away from John stepping up to the plate, not my intent.

"They are already talking about helping out new young members" It is the all knowing THEY I see as the problem, depending on a good ole boy National Board in the past has not worked well, although with Keith there may be hope

There are 11,000 members with at least 1,000 that have life experiences and skills that could help correct problems without causing more problems that need to be corrected later. This Club is being run like the Supreme Court, where all decisions are edicts and only a select few are allowed to argue before the court. I believe a Chapters Presidents council, acting on the will and input of members, should be able to have input to the decision making process. Input from roots are important. Shelby

Originally Posted by jwl
    I, for one, would certainly hate to lose any senior members over a $10 increase in dues. The older members are a valuable asset to the club and a valuable connection to the past. Maybe the board should look into senior discounts for those on Social Security. They are already talking about helping out new young members (a good idea). In the meantime, while I certainly don't have "unlimited funds", I will send $10 to the first 10 senior members that can't afford the increase. Just send me your address and proof of age. I will send you a check for $10 made out to the AMCA. You can send it along with your $30 when renewing your membership. All I ask is in return is that you share some of your wisdom and experience with the next junior member that needs some guidance. John Lindemann

John's offer is much appreciated and has to potential to keep 10 older guys in the club for ONE year. How do you figure how many NEW members-of all ages-were put off by the $40 start-up fee? 2? 10? 100? No way to tell is there?

I see Tom Cotton chimed in a few posts ago . . . What's he thinking? Perhaps the BoD needs a bubble test???
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by shelbyinparadise View Post
    acting on the will and input of members, ... input to the decision making process. Input from roots...
    Shelby, can you expand on what you mean by "input"? Surely members of the Board listen to what people tell them and take it into account in making whatever decisions they make. But, you must mean something different than this(?).

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

Just got back from a ride on one of my old junkers after a hard day and figured I would check this topic. Funny how a thread that was started on the increase of dues turned into another discussion in another area. Here JWL made an extremely generous offer to personally make up the difference on a senior's dues and someone finds fault with it. Amazing. I am going to bring this topic up to our Bear Mountain meeting this Sunday. We have NO MONEY. NONE. If the members vote against sponsoring someone TRULY in need to maintain their membership I will personally sponsor any 10 in need members as JWL said to keep them in the club. Find fault in this. John, PM me on this please.
    Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 06-04-2015 at 08:52 PM.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Quote Originally Posted by BoschZEV View Post
    Shelby, can you expand on what you mean by "input"? Surely members of the Board listen to what people tell them and take it into account in making whatever decisions they make. But, you must mean something different than this(?).
    Before I try to give you a real example Please allow me to thank exeric for his thoughtful response, there are a lot of good people in this Club that really want to make it better even though out of context it may seem posts are negative.

Allow me to use a real example of the Move from Eustis by Sunshine Chapter. I was and still am a member in good standing of the Chapter and long time vendor there, 20 years.

By P&P rules for Swap meets, the schedule is fixed for the year at the Sunshine Meet in March by the National Board. Eustis Fairgrounds was approved again after 15 years at that location, and the Chapter advised the Vendors their spots were safe for another year.

Fast forward to Wauseon National Board Meeting that summer, and two Sunshine Board members asked the Board for a non emergency permission to move the event to a new location that had a lot of disagreement as to the wisdom of the move by half the Florida board members, not only with the mid year change but the suitability of the location.

The National Board approved the move, without anyone thinking of how this would affect the vendors, losing their favorite spots where their customers we used to finding them. The thought of moving under emergency conditions, most vendors would do what was best for the event. But to be required to move to a new location on short notice was unacceptable to most, even those that did it for the good of the event.

No input reached the National Board about the traffic study done by two Board members of the Chapter who just happened to be experts, working for the Florida DOT as traffic engineers, or input by another Board member that noted that comparing aerial views that the new location was just the size of the Eustis Parking lot, and would seriously restrict the Event size in future years. Another Board member visiting the site questioned the suitability of the dirt floor and improper drainage.

Once the decision to move was approved by National Board Both Vendors and Members questioned the Wisdom of the decision and the Chapter became quite split as to how good an idea it was. They had little to no knowledge of the facts so most played follow the leader blindly. The last 4 years have now proved the problems to be true enough to have Keith look into it.

There is a large paper trail of emails to and from the dissenting Board members and Chapter members but in the end we were stuck with a good ole boy decision to just allow a chapter to violate the National Policies just because they asked.

Just in case you heard the rumor they spread around that the Eustis fairgrounds was closing, I have proved that false by renting it for the 5th year, and if I had not rented it several Florida Board members were planning to do it also out of their pocket.

I know this bores the hell out of most folks but you ask a specific question and I did my best to show how many people were effected by a simple National Board Decision without detailed information.

Davenport could be another example, if the national Board had not lost the $17,000 in vendor fees paid to national. Would we still need to raise the membership fees. Please note they do not get any fees from regional events which are becoming more popular due to high travel costs. Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
    Just got back from a ride on one of my old junkers after a hard day and figured I would check this topic. Funny how a thread that was started on the increase of dues turned into another discussion in another area. Here JWL made an extremely generous offer to personally make up the difference on a senior's dues and someone finds fault with it. Amazing. I am going to bring this topic up to our Bear Mountain meeting this Sunday. We have NO MONEY. NONE. If the members vote against sponsoring someone TRULY in need to maintain their membership I will personally sponsor any 10 in need members as JWL said to keep them in the club. Find fault in this. John, PM me on this please.
    No reasonable person would find any Fault in what you wrote. As Membership Director of the Cherokee Chapter I am required to contact members that are behind in National or local dues once a year by Fred Davis the National Director of Chapters. I will not remove someone for being tardy from our mailing list or refuse them notice of local events. We make every effort that no votes are cast by non members but we welcome their input to make our Chapter better. Being open and friendly gains us a steady line of people joining, we signed up over 30 at the Pate Swap meet and had quite a sum donated by people who enjoyed our 135 antique Motorcycles on display for the public . We had gone from 36 paid members to now 250 in just over two years. Lead By Example. "Only the lead cow breathes fresh air" Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Lucky me, Folks,...

I deduct my dues as a business expense.
    But with no Meet in my region, and little personal interest in the magazine, its come down to annoying some on this forum that makes my membership worthwhile!

.....Cotten
    i can give you luland's email and you'll save the $40.00

Quote Originally Posted by rwm View Post
    i can give you luland's email and you'll save the $40.00
    Bobby's always entertaining!

But don't forget my vendetta against the judging system.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!