Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overhead hoists

Default overhead hoists

Am I the only clown who hangs his cylinders over the engine while installing the wrist pins? without a buddy's help?

How about for installing the power plant into the frame? ...... I'm not young Atlas anymore, so I have to tool up hoists and such.

Time as a cripple sure changes a guy. Can't bare-hand anything anymore.

Filibuster!

I have religiously used the "Indian method" of installing the pistons into the cylinders and then slipping in the pin before setting the cylinder down upon the cases.
    On the bench, I used cardboard boxes or large chunks of styrofoam out of the dumpster to gently hold and support the cylinder while I fiddled with the pins and clips.

It allows for a cleaner, safer assembly. Why H-D didn't suggest this was probably pure arrogance.

To get an Indian powerplant into the frame, it is best to lay the chassis on its side over it.

....Cotten
    PS: I feel your hand pains, if they are anything like arthritis, Dupuytren's contracture, stenosing tenosynovitis, etc.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Filibuster!

I have religiously used the "Indian method" of installing the pistons into the cylinders and then slipping in the pin before setting the cylinder down upon the cases.
    On the bench, I used cardboard boxes or large chunks of styrofoam out of the dumpster to gently hold and support the cylinder while I fiddled with the pins and clips.

It allows for a cleaner, safer assembly. Why H-D didn't suggest this was probably pure arrogance.

To get an Indian powerplant into the frame, it is best to lay the chassis on its side over it.

....Cotten
    PS: I feel your hand pains, if they are anything like arthritis, Dupuytren's contracture, stenosing tenosynovitis, etc.
    I had lumbar 3-4-5 fused 2 years ago, so I have load limit. Reaching to the back of the bench to pick up a cylinder will cost me. Riding costs me!
    I suspended my cylinders with a bolt-on bracket that takes the hook of my baby lug-all, and I have I-beams in my ceiling. I hang my engine/trans with a cable coming up behind the intake manifold. It allows me to tilt the load with mild effort.

I was thinking, as you suggested laying a frame on its side for the motor install, the last time I laid a bike on its side to operate on it was so the cam followers would stay up while I slipped the cam into its bushings. Another trick occurred to me a few months ago: magnets. The welding supply store sells a scribe, which has a magnet in one end. The diameter of the scribe's body is like an ink pen, under 3/8". If you remove the pushrods you can use two magnets to suspend the followers until the cam is home. ......... and that little magnet works great for fishing little parts out of the solvent, too.

Golly Filibuster,

I had to buy a de-magnetizer for parts.
    I even de-gauss floatvalve needles when they swing a compass wildly.

But magnets do have a million uses.
    I put speaker magnets on the bottom of my solvent tanks and in my blasting media hoppers; The accumulation of fine metal is amazing.
    A teflon-covered stirring bar magnet sounded like a good idea in my Pan oil tank until it covered the feed and made my hydraulics hammer.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

I agree with Cotton ,Magnetizing the lifter rollers doesn't sound like a good idea

In practical reality, Folks,..

Filibuster's little magnet probably did not impart enough residual magnetism to attract particulates.
    The question in motor building is where did magnetism come from in the first place, such as this rod bottom (attached).

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMCA #776

In practical reality, Folks,..

Filibuster's little magnet probably did not impart enough residual magnetism to attract particulates.
    The question in motor building is where did magnetism come from in the first place, such as this rod bottom (attached).

....Cotten
    That's why I like it here (we like it here, we like it here......) We get it all, including the science fiction! (no offense, Tom)
    I mean it though, I enjoy reading about phenomena that just don't happen any day on the farm.

Anybody need magnets?

.....Cotten
    AMCA #776

Anybody need magnets?

.....Cotten
    Tom, I'm thinking of sending you a shopping list!

Re reading, I see I never mentioned handling all the lower end rollers with the little magnet. Also, I used a larger magnet to hold thrust washers while sweeping them across sandpaper. ... and the machine shop throws the thrust washers on his magnetic-base fluid-cooled surface grinder. And we magna-flux flywheels and rods to find cracks, ... and what else do we put at risk with magnetic tricks?

Filibuster!

De-magnetizing, or degaussing, is easy.
    Just pass the object through an energized coil a few times.

When a connecting rod is degaussed, the ends are no longer north and south poles. The ends have the same polarity, and the other pole is moved to the middle.
    Magnafluxers and generator growlers can degauss if used properly.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-29-2015 at 08:32 AM.
    AMCA #776