Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help/carb

Default help/carb

Have 441 with a Shebler dlx 124. Can't keep bowl on as threads are gone. Need a good body, or complete carb,or M8,or something else that would fit. Looking for advice.
    Thank's A Bunch

Amish Boy!

Beware of bowlthread repairs that use pins that compromise the brittle potmetal.
    (Please post me direct at liberty@npoint.net for two alternatives (or three if you count welding up for just as cheesy threads; That address may be curtailed eventually by my podunk server, so alternatives are libertynightshift@yahoo, or @gmail.com, or @outlook.com)

Your DLX124 is highly desireable by folks with the previous year, so seeking out a trade upon this forum for a Linkert M441 may save you in the long run.

Happy to help if I can,

....Cotten
    PS: The more common "Beck replacement" are M441s restamped at the L&L factory, and far cheaper, since AMCA judges distain them. The attachment shows some of the 441 beneath it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-23-2015 at 07:29 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

If all else fails get in touch with the Indian 4 Club. Either repair yours, or as Cotton says, work out a trade for the 441 carb.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Jim Walther makes excellent thread repairs, he's the president of the indian four club, and has an ad in the AMCA magazine I think. He's in W. Virginia.

Rigb!

Is this a Jim Walther repair? (first attached).

(Correct me if I'm wrong...)

The thread problem itself is a result of potmetal "weissrost", a chemical change in the presence of water, etc., that renders it quite brittle and cheezy, along with "leadpest".
    (Second attachment)
    Further corrosion must be stopped if possible.

The devil is the torque applied to seal the bowlnut, which can 'pull' an appliance (third attached).
    Also attached is another 'economical' pinned aluminum repair, which distorted and failed, but at least did not fracture the casting.

I have alternatives that do not use pins, Folks, but only applicable if the bowlstem has not been compromised from previous attempts.

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AMCA #776

Jim Walther did an excellent repair to my carb. You can see pictures on the website:

http://www.indian4club.org/ads.html

Scroll to the bottom. Great Job.

Oldchief!

Your link doesn't get me there.

I hold the belief that a pin of any sort is a "stress riser" waiting to happen.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776

Hi I do not have carb. to trade but would like to buy yours for my 440 thanks Bob

Thank you all for your input. Mr. Bob, can't sell carb unless I find m441 which I guess is what I am supposed to have. Meanwhile I will have Mr. Cotton do my repairs. I need to put a few more miles on before teardown. Would like to hear from a FOUR owner in Florida, as would like to compare notes and learn.
    Blessings
    Willie@1791.com
    941-720-4320

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Oldchief!

Your link doesn't get me there.

I hold the belief that a pin of any sort is a "stress riser" waiting to happen.

....Cotten
    The link works fine for me. Just scroll to the bottom. No pin of any sort on the carb.