Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hacks... How Comfortable Are They?

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Such things occur in normal use, only sooner with abuse.

....Cotten
    PS: It seemed like every time I opened the garage door, some more of my rear tire tread had been erased.
    LOL yes Cotton, There's that to.........BUT.......any adjustment that you can make for the toe in to be LESS than 3/4" will help the life of the rear tire.
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Chuck!

I can't tell you to the fraction of an inch my toe-in, but I got it to where the rig didn't 'wander' (until the neck bearings wore out).
    Fortunately, I have always had an endless supply of used tires, and a tire changer. Now all I need is somebody younger to fix it all for me.

....Cotten
    PS: I've still got a stack o' wear-like-iron Goodyears. We used to grind off the middle stripe of "double whites" to make them look like the 1" whites my '65 should have.
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-04-2015 at 11:44 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Whenever I have a person beside me while I'm riding the 3 wheeled Hack they have a smile on their face ear to ear. I think that is what they were designed to do. Give the extra rider a feel like no other. Comfort? Never a complaint however no one has been in there that is too big to fit. Seats are cushy and so it the suspension. Gotta sit low and back as the windshield doesn't quite buff the wind away enough they noticed. Oh and the take me for a ride never ends.

Cory, you might want to ask your wife to take a look at Bio Electric Acti Patch. A lot less expensive than a side hack n easier on the bike, the acti patch will help knock out back pain without oral or injectable medication.

I have a slipped lumbar facet that was discovered 6 years after a heavy lift incident. No one in the medical community found it as I was advised the injury was in my mind. A vet found it, re set it & the pain was intense & healing near non exsisting.

The Phisiologist told me it would take years to heal & darn near caused me to give up riding due to the pain. The same person who found the slipped lumbar facet advised me about acti patch & while there is still some pain, the device has healed better than 50% of ligament inflammation which in return has reduced the sciatica and low back pain.

The device is shipped out of Maryland ( if your in Canada it may be sold OTC), if not you need to have a perscription. Fax it to them, call with your credit card and they ship USPS Priorty mail. The total cost is about 35.00 U$. It is supposed to be used until the battery runs out, 720 hours continuous but you can install a new battery if you carefully do so.

I did put heavier military springs on the seat post & am planning on purchasing a rebuilt OEM buddy seat from Heathers Leathers that incorporates a gel/foam pad. Just the heavy duty springs alone made a big difference as I ride double up with my wife. Before the seat post spring installation the ride was as if there were no springs, it was truely a rigid frame ride. When we'd get back from riding before I'd darn near drag myself off the bike & crawl into the house to get into a hot shower, then heating pad and a little natural med relief...leave that last one to your imagination.

After the heavier spring instalation there is enough suspension to hande all 325#'s of her & I on the buddy seat.

Not certain if your bike has that option available, but at least check out acti patch to see if that can help your wife with the pain issues.
    Last edited by ricmoran; 03-05-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricmoran View Post
    ... Just the heavy duty springs alone made a big difference as I ride double up with my wife. Before the seat post spring installation the ride was as if there were no springs, it was truely a rigid frame ride....After the heavier spring instalation there is enough suspension to hande all 325#'s of her & I on the buddy seat...
    And don't forget Folks,...

...Just slipping an old outer OHV valve spring over the post is the time-honored remedy.
    ("Period Custom?")

Still bottoms out with obesity, of course.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

I've never been a passenger in a sidecar, but my wife, mother in law and sister in law all love it. I don't think I'd be able to take it personally... anyhow, here's a little video my wife shot handheld with her phone (poor man's go pro) sort of a passenger's eye view.

Mike Carver
    AMCA #3349

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

Nice video Mike. Who had the bigger smile??
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

I've been haulin' a hack for 30 years with my '46 Knuck, and I've probably logged close to 90k miles. My kids and exes and present company have logged many miles with me, with no complaints. Only a few people have ever refused to ride in it, and even the most reluctant were impressed with how comfortable it is. I take it off occasionally, but always put it back on for practicality and SAFETY; people see you and don't pull out in front of you!

Cons: It's a lot of work for the bike and rider on some curvy, mountainous roads. The rear tire doesn't last long. It takes up more space in the garage.

This thread & the winter from hell America just had brings back memories. In my late teens my best friend had free access to his families 53FL with a sidecar. We rode all over central Oklahoma, sharing pilot & passenger time. We should be punished now, but we'd take it out after a snowstorm & bust drifts. If we got stuck, the 2 of us could lift & turn it out. In Oklahoma we get more ice than snow & we'd find a parking lot and spin donuts.
    Back on topic, the car had the windshield & apron, you could wrap your legs in the canvas & keep warmer, and it had the body strap installed. We never had much luck with the 3-brush adjustment, so we put a 6V golf cart battery behind the seat & could ride all night ( did not have to run lights in daytime back then)
    It was stroked with 80" wheels so it kept up with most 2-wheelers pretty well. It was 3 & R and was the first foot clutch bike I ever rode.
    I have a Hack project for my 65 when I feel I can no-longer hold it up safe.

Congrats to all contributors here as I await the arrival of my Ural sidecar to be attached to my '53 Zundapp KS. The best advice I've read is "hug the centerline while using a hack." Living in Iowa where spring is late coming this year.