Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1917 Powerplus

Quote Originally Posted by painterdale View Post
    Kevin, I definitely don't want to restore it. I want to get it in operable condition and I like to think I would ride it but I also like to think I ride my other bikes, too! Dale
    That's what I would do, too.

Kevin

Next I would like to consider knocking some of that grime off and would like to hear what others have used successfully without disturbing what might be underneath. I know there must be a lot of "secrets" out there! Also, tires. White or black? Thanks to all for sharing their knowledge! Dale

Dale, let me ask a dumb question here. The magneto unit on this bike makes juice for the lights as well as spark to the engine? Thanks, Bob

That Bosch magneto will not power lights. Indian used the Splitdorf mag/dyno that needed a battery in 1917. In 1917, Harley-Davidson used a Remy unit that was a generator, distributor, and power distribution device (but not a magneto) and needed a battery. Dale's Bosch magneto appears to be a clockwise H-D, or Excelsior mag so it's a bit off for proper timing, although it will still work.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Eric, ya got me lost here. So the mag puts out the spark. What powers the lights? Bob

Hi Bob! The Splitdorf has 2 armatures, one on top of the other. One is the magneto, the other is the generator to charge the battery. Dale

Thank you Dale. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Bob

What Dale currently has will not power lights, so you need a generator of some sort. His bike is what they typically called a 'non-electric' because it had no lighting. In post 18, you'll see a non-electric Indian that has been retrofitted with an aftermarket ABC generator.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Happy Holidays and best wishes to everyone! Dale

Same to you Dale, and everyone else. I asked my wife to get me a PowerPlus for Christmas. I've got my fingers crossed.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886