Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1947 tanks?

I agree with Jerry. They certainly could have retooled in 47 in prep for the Panheads and used these on late 47s. I've seen early right side 48 tanks with the fuel fitting moved out from the knuckle position (see attached pic), so you never know how those transitions went...not to mention the tank could have been damaged and replaced by the dealer...
    Pan Tank early 48.jpg

Hollywood, that picture says to me that Harley had X amount of older tanks going into the 48 production and was hell bent on making sure they got used. Bob L

The fitting was moved before the back was welded on, so they didn't actually have made up tanks...
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

So maybe they had 500 outer skins they didn't want to junk? There's a reason that they went though the trouble to patch up a hole and put in a new one. They were cheap bastards. Stampings are expensive. Everything got used at Harley Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I agree with Jerry. They certainly could have retooled in 47 in prep for the Panheads and used these on late 47s. I've seen early right side 48 tanks with the fuel fitting moved out from the knuckle position (see attached pic), so you never know how those transitions went...not to mention the tank could have been damaged and replaced by the dealer...
    Pan Tank early 48.jpg
    I have a right side tank just like this one shown with the blanked-off knuckle positioned nipple that came with my VERY low VIN 48 Panhead. I assumed that they were producing a tank that could be made into either style during production. It is definitely factory. I've seen at least two other tanks just like it at swap meets.
    Mark

I actually just dealt with this. Indeed Left hand Pan, Right hand Knuckle. Still beautiful tanks nonetheless. I'd say run them until you find the proper left tank. Original paint is worthy of displaying even if it is a year off in my opinion.

I too have also seen 2 examples of low VIN 1948 Panhead tanks with the plugged Knuckle access. Such an incredible crossover in years piece. I love parts like this.

p.s. Hello Hollywood!
    Last edited by Joemax; 12-09-2014 at 06:27 PM.

And I have seen a right-side 48-50 pan tank where the area at the fitting was cut out in a rectangle and rotated 180-degrees to put the fitting in the knucklehead location. Actually, I was at the guy's shop and watched him do the deed. It was going on a restoration, once painted it was undetectable. The indentation for the pan covers, though, would make folks scratch their heads.
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

That indent on the left tank doesn't look very clean. I wonder if someone hammered in a Knuckle tank to fit a Pan.

I have owned 2 different styles of 47 tanks, the first style had the smooth welded seem on the inside and the other had the indentions like panhead tanks have. Here are pictures I took comparing both styles of 47 tanks.