Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wet Clutch for Early Sportsters

I've done 2 wet plate conversions, one in a 67 other in a 58. Only change is the plates, everything else the same, stock, including springs. They are sensational, no slip or drag, just set and forget. When installing the instruction was to coat in ATF, which I did, then assembled and adjusted. Happy days from then on. I run engine oil in the gearbox/primary, which is either 40/70 or 25/70 grade Penrite brand, so once warmed up the gearbox doesn't make too much noise and shifts well. I haven't needed to use any tricks, maybe just lucky. Rick

I found a note recently from when I built my wife's 69 back in 1981. It says I used KR clutch springs.
    VPH-D

Ah Ha! Thank You
    - The motor is in the frame and the bike is on wheels but I still have the primary cover off and wrestle with the springs intermittently. They seem to be screwed out too far to get a reasonable hand pressure on the lever and I'm afraid of slippage. The springs that came with the Barnett plates are for Popeye. I'm assuming that the K springs might be slightly weaker and will allow proper pull on the lever when adjusted to the correct distance. Do you remember the spring measurement that you used?
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill,
    The note I found says I used KR springs, which have to be stronger than standard stuff. The part number for the early standard springs never changed from K thru 1970. For all I know, I might have changed out the KR springs at some point for standard springs, as the clutch lever pull isn't bad at all.
    I don't remember what spring measurement was used, sorry, but it was probably close to stock recommendation.
    VPH-D

Thanks VPH-D.

I checked the parts manual as well and your are correct in that the P/N is the same all the way up to 1970. I'm wrestling with the decision to either loosen up the spring tension (thereby risking slippage) or keeping with the 3/16" spring measurement and living with the resulting harder handle-pull. That didn't bother me much when I was young so I'm sure I can endure it now.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755