Thread: Steering damper

Default Steering damper

Has any one had the pleasure of trying to remove a frozen steering damper in a forty's fork.
    I've tried heat with propane and oil, No luck. I don't like the thought of drilling it out. Any thoughtful help welcome.

David,
    they stick in the narrow section of the fork lower stem. It is quite thick and difficult to heat up. a propane torch won't do it. Repeated soaking with the best penetrant you have access to, a gretaer heat source, and patience are your only hope. Drilling is the last resort but often the only alternative.

Note the necked down portion in this stem section. That is where they stick.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Thanks Robbie
    I hate to do this.. but I think I'll grind off bottom of stem to get parts off and have better access, so I can try heating bottom end of fork.

Quote Originally Posted by David Uhl View Post
    Thanks Robbie
    I hate to do this.. but I think I'll grind off bottom of stem to get parts off and have better access, so I can try heating bottom end of fork.
    After soaking in oil and cutting the end off put it in a hydraulic press and push it out.

I've had luck freeing up rusty parts by using Mapps gas[hotter than propane and at most hardware stores] and a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone.

We had to carefully grind the bottom off and then drill it out with a long 3/8" bit. Using a center punch to center the bit. Then it came out.

AMCA #765