Page 37 of 87 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Powerplus or Bust, Eh?

Default shifter linkage

The old bell crank pivot was broken off in my frame, so I had to drill it out. This one came with the 1916 swapmeet parts:

This video shows how the shifter linkage and hand clutch lever all move:

Kevin

1916 Indian Powerplus - Cannonball Bike
    1941 Indian Chief - Sonny
    1964 Triumph TR6 - 50 year ISDT Tribute
    1969 BMW R60US
    1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
    Etcetera

So I have been buried in this thread every chance I get the last few days and now I have some questions. During the time you were rebuilding your rear leafs you mentioned the packs should have 7 leafs, mine has 8. I also somehow have a rear brake that has not been machined and I don't know why. More importantly I don't have anything to reference to get it machined.IMG_2961.jpgIMG_2959.jpgIMG_2960.jpg

Thanks
    Chase

Quote Originally Posted by chasekyle70 View Post
    So I have been buried in this thread every chance I get the last few days and now I have some questions. During the time you were rebuilding your rear leafs you mentioned the packs should have 7 leafs, mine has 8. I also somehow have a rear brake that has not been machined and I don't know why. More importantly I don't have anything to reference to get it machined.IMG_2961.jpgIMG_2959.jpgIMG_2960.jpg

Thanks
    Chase
    My mistake; 8 leaves is correct. Thanks for catching that.

It appears to be an unmachined reproduction rear brake plate. Probably your best bet if you want to use it would be to get your hands on an original one, and machine yours to match. Also, rear brake plates do come up on eBay and at swap meets from time to time, and reproductions are available. If you don't have your own machine shop, you could probably buy a new reproduction for less than what it would cost to pay a shop to machine your casting.

Kevin

1969 BMW R60US
    1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
    Etcetera

Default Assembling the Clutch

These are the parts of an Indian PowerPlus clutch. The old worn out riveted linings have been replaced with nice new bonded linings by Energy One Performance Clutches:

This is the clutch hub, which attaches to the tapered shaft of the transmission. On one end it is keyed in a spider arrangement to fit the clutch back plate, and the other end has two sets of threads, the inboard set is left handed for the inner roller bearing race, and the outboard set is right handed for the lock ring:

Normally the back plate and front plates would be nickel plated, but in this case the castings were so rough on the outside that I just decided to pant them satin red. Just a small amount of heat to the back plate allows the hub to slip in with a light tap from a soft hammer:

Then you flip the back plate/hub assembly over, set the bronze roller retainer on the back plate, and put the 22 rollers in the retainer:

Before installing the inner bearing race, it is important to spend some time making sure that these little holes are clear. They pass through to the threaded bolt holes, so that once the clutch is installed the bolts can be removed one at a time to lube the rollers:

Once that is done the inner race can be threaded on and tightened, lefty-tighty, righty-loosey:

To be continued on the next post.

Kevin

1969 BMW R60US
    1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
    Etcetera

Default Clutch 2

Once the inner race is tightened to the hub, the lock ring goes on:

I needed a wrench to fit the lock ring, so I dug through a bin of miscellaneous tools at Blair Pawn and found this. Apparently it fits a GMC and it once belonged to someone named Aronson. It had too many tits but it was the right diameter, so I did a little grinding and, viola!

Once the lock ring is tightened, the sprocket, which has the outer race for the rollers in it, can be slipped on:

Then there's a metal plate with linings on both sides that goes on:

And then a flat metal plate with teeth to engage the inside of the sprocket, similar to a modern clutch basket:

More to come; one more post on clutch assembly coming up!

Kevin

1969 BMW R60US
    1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
    Etcetera

Default Clutch 3

OK, lets wrap this clutch build up.

Next, set the front plate on:

You can vary the number of springs to adjust the stiffness of the clutch. I'm starting with 8:

Then the tension plate goes on over the springs, with four adjusting screws and a lock plate:

The kick starter pinion drops in, a spring, a cupped washer, and adjusting screw, and a lock nut go on. In some of them the adjusting screw has to go in from the other side, it all depends on which kick starter ratchet you have, and how it's threaded:

And there we have a complete clutch assembly:

Kevin

1969 BMW R60US
    1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
    Etcetera

You are doing a first class job Kevin. Your posts make me want a Powerplus so bad I can taste it
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

It's hard to believe this is your first Powerplus project. Sounds like you've had years of experience on these things. Very impressive, as well as informative. Dale

Thanks guys. I've been working on bikes since 1970, but this one is twice as old as anything else I've done. The trick is, I take it apart and get it all figured out BEFORE I write the posts. That way it seems like I know what I'm doing when in reality it's "Yoicks and away!"

How's your project coming, Dale?

Kevin

Last edited by Shaky Jake; 01-18-2016 at 10:03 PM.
    1969 BMW R60US
    1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
    Etcetera

really enjoying this, great work - keep it coming!