Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: 27 JD Restoration

So ! i got to take out the old fellow for another 30 mile run this morning with my good buddy Jerrold Entzi following me. The morning was exquisite; bright Autumn sun, no wind and 60 degrees at 10 am. The ride was flawless. i now have 160 miles on the engine and everything seems perfect. i adjusted the valve clearances, reset the ignition timer points gap and adjusted both chains at 100 miles. i am now down to one thin (.010") shim on the oiler adjusting screw; this morning i ran two thin shims and accumulated 60 cc or 2 ounces of oil in 30 miles. my run previous to this morning's run, i ran three thin shims, so this morning's run with two thin shims decreased oiler output by 8 cc. I am speculating i will need to run with no shims, but am removing one shim at a time and measuring out put after every run.

i did not post after my first 30 mile ride from my house on to public roads on August 9. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30 That day, no precip at my house, sky looked stable, but by the time i got another 500 feet higher, it was misting and 1/4 mile down the road was pouring that lasted about 8 miles, then cleared and i rode another 10 miles, turned around and rode back into pouring rain. the old fellow did not miss a beat and i certainly was recalling my Dad's rain story of front cylinder cracking when he met the wash off a truck going through an underpass. The stream of water coming off the leading edge of the front fender is like a waterfall ! if any of you have ever been up around Horsetooth Reservoir west of Fort Collins, the video was taken south of Masonville.

Masonville would have been a good place to stop, there a couple old buildings there, the one picture is Masonvile Mercantile, built in 1896. i'm still kind of at the point i want to keep moving because everything is running so well. I am getting a alot more comfortable with the bike, so my next run i will stop and take some pictures. i realize i posted no new pictures of the bike, but i will in the future.

20170524_145614.jpg20170524_145636.jpg

Masonville Mercantile MasonvilleStore.JPG

Across the road, west from the MercantileIMG_3368.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 10-12-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Steve, It's great that the old girl is on the road! Awesome work! Unless someone had done a complete restoration as you did, they cannot appreciate the large amount of work and time that is involved. You will find that the mount of oil that accumulates also depends on the speeds that you ride. At higher speeds the oil pump pumps more but with modern rings you don't consume anymore. Just a thought. I don't worry too much about how much oil is in there since I change mine at least every 150 miles. With 2 pumps of fresh oil, I know I am good with no oil consumption. Keep having fun and enjoy! She's a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by harleytoprock View Post
    Steve, It's great that the old girl is on the road! Awesome work! Unless someone had done a complete restoration as you did, they cannot appreciate the large amount of work and time that is involved. You will find that the mount of oil that accumulates also depends on the speeds that you ride. At higher speeds the oil pump pumps more but with modern rings you don't consume anymore. Just a thought. I don't worry too much about how much oil is in there since I change mine at least every 150 miles. With 2 pumps of fresh oil, I know I am good with no oil consumption. Keep having fun and enjoy! She's a beauty!
    John, thanks for your encouraging words of experience; coming from you means alot. it's quite a sensation riding a bike built from parts that were never together as a motorcycle. i have to say, my first rides, the bike really did not feel like a motorcycle, if you know what i mean. as i get more miles on the clock, i can literally feel everything seating in, mating together and actually feeling like stuff's working together the way it may have felt when it was new from the factory. what's really cool, is i am getting used to having a rear brake only and stopping power is really not that bad, i simply find i need to accommodate road speeds to match braking performance.

interesting what you say about oiler output; i appreciate that! i'm also giving 2 strokes after dumping the oil. make perfect sense to do oil changes every 150 miles and running a "dry" piston setup, it's nice to know i'm not blowing oil past the piston, into the combustion chamber causing carbon buildup.

i also forgot to say, i got up to 50 mph and had lots of throttle to go. I am still varying my speeds between 30-40 mph and mildly lugging for short distances on hills. i slow down to 30 and speed up to 40.

what's also very cool is the bike is getting dirty with oil, bugs and road grime !
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 10-12-2017 at 04:43 PM.

a stunning bike steve. great job now enjoy the riding.

Quote Originally Posted by nuklhd View Post
    a stunning bike steve. great job now enjoy the riding.
    Thank you !

I used to go thru Masonville a lot back when the road to the west was gravel...
    VPH-D

Fantastic, well done Steve.

It looks a bit chilly out west from the Mercantile though!

John

Quote Originally Posted by TechNoir View Post
    Fantastic, well done Steve.

It looks a bit chilly out west from the Mercantile though!

John
    John, don't believe what you see. i robbed that picture off the 'net !

Quote Originally Posted by VPH-D View Post
    I used to go thru Masonville a lot back when the road to the west was gravel...
    VPH-D
    Those were the days !

a couple grainy pics i took from the monitor screen of my first 30 mile ride in the rain, August 9.

20171017_000333 (1).jpg20171017_001916.jpg