Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: 27 JD Restoration

Steve, I just read your whole thread start to finish. Great story, great bike. Thanks for sharing this journey on the board. I really enjoyed it. -Matt in Montana
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile....
    -good ol GD

Matt, thank you for taking time to read the story of my JD. Welcome to the discussion board. Montana is a great state. I am guessing good 'ol GD is your grandfather...? what do you have for bikes?

Thanks for the welcome Steve. Gd stands for grateful dead. I'm a huge fan and have been for years. I currently ride a 1937 U. My father was very into old Harleys till health reasons forced him to quit riding. He rode a 61 pan all over the country and had a 41 knuck as well. He bought me 3 aeromachi sprints when I was 15 for $500. I made one run out of the three and so began my love for old bikes.
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile....
    -good ol GD

ound pieces of Edelmann spotlights on ebay to make one good one, the switch handle on the LH lite is nickle, the RH is bakelite. i have another spotlight with a nickle switch handle on the way, so hopefully i can swap out the bakelite switch handle for the nickle handle.

20190812_194431.jpg20190812_194500.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Swan View Post
    before i got 27JD11090, over the decades i would look at, hold this can shake the can..... probably 15 years ago, it sprang a leak at the seam, leaking a delightful sticky smelly turpentine smell. VERY CONCERNING because i KNEW SOMEDAY, i would have a JD and would need that paint.
    Steve's comments here about ancient paint, its link to his father, and the paint driving Steve to a JD is one of the many back story parts that I love about the Member Bike Builds. Then to tie it in with a skeptical paint mixer is perfect. Way to tell it Steve.

Mike Love

Mike, thank you for your kind words. You really said it well on the chain of people, places and things that create the fine stories we share here on the build thread. Motorcycles are part of my soul. i remember being in college, a freshman, the school didn't allow freshman to have vehicles. So i found a garage for my bike to keep it till i they let me have it back. i scotch-taped stencil letters, "I LOVE MOTORCYCLES," on my dorm window. Motorcycles represent so many different things to me, i could write a small book. i remember working 3 jobs to get me through nursing school, the one job was the night shift in a nursing home. of all things, i brought the gearbox from by 1960 DBD34 Gold Star into work and rebuilt it when the shift was slow. i finished the bike in our basement efficiency apartment, still remember pulling it up the 2 flights of stairs. still have the #3 piston from the '34 Indian 4 Dad bought on Don Foster's farm auction in 1967. finished the chassis rebuild in our upstairs apartment in my next to last semester of nursing school. stories, stories, stories, we all have 'em. this could make a good topic for members to share their stories.

Chalk up another use for a drill chuck. Is that a 1/2"? I use a smaller Jacobs as a vice for small stuff. I need to rig it up to fit on a tool handle like that.

Nice work

Mike Love