Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 27 JD Restoration

i took the old fellow out for another 30 mile ride today. All flawless. i accumulated 40 cc of oil in 30 miles with two thin shims. Removed another, so I am now down one thin shim, so on my next ride, we'll see how much oil accumulates on the next ride. i now have 167 miles on the engine. Sorry, no pics...... i'll do better next time, might not be til next spring!
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 11-22-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Great thread, good job ! Really enjoyed reading about and seeing the build - enjoy !

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
    Great thread, good job ! Really enjoyed reading about and seeing the build - enjoy !
    Thanks Tom !

I am giving Tommo a HUGE THANK YOU for making available a BEAUTIFUL original headlight for my 27. THANK YOU, Tommo !!!!!

So, i went for my little 29 mile route up around Horsetooth Reservoir, and then down through Masonville and over to Hwy.34 and turned around, stopped in Masonville and took a couple pics. everything seems to running well after 196 miles, i removed the last thin washer, as i accumulated 30cc (1 ounce) of oil in 30 miles. my prior ride, last November, i gained 40 cc during the same ride/route. so it will be interesting to see how much oil accumulates with no washers. A big thank you to my buddy James Lafler to took up the rear, cars were out in force today. James is in the middle of fitting together his '29 chassis, his engine and trans are restored; his will be a beauty.

20180701_134947 (1).jpg20180701_135001 (1).jpg20180701_134833 (1).jpg

Gorgeous setting for pictures of your '27, Steve. It is great to see someone having fun with their vintage motorcycle. Keep taking pictures, as I love seeing pictures of that beautiful motorcycle.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    Gorgeous setting for pictures of your '27, Steve. It is great to see someone having fun with their vintage motorcycle. Keep taking pictures, as I love seeing pictures of that beautiful motorcycle.
    Thank you Eric!

Florida Between Weeki Wachee & Saint Petersburg

Thumbs up You Gotta Be Bustin' Buttons...

While You're Aboard This Outstanding Motorcycle!!!!!

Last edited by AdvenJack; 07-02-2018 at 07:20 PM.
    Jack

Thanks, Jack! i did mine the hard ($$$) way, started with a few pieces and went from there. i would not have been happy with an o.p. bike, i wanted one that looks like new, shiny, bling-bling. doing as much of my own build as i could was a very rewarding personal experience at a number of different levels. and i met some really great folks, without whose help i would not have made it. i've noticed you are making the rounds, and learning your way. do you see yourself getting an old bike, and if so, what interests you?

Florida Between Weeki Wachee & Saint Petersburg

Lightbulb

Hi Steve,

Yes, I will become an owner of an antique motorcycle or three! I only know
    enough to know what I like the "looks of" so far, (approximately 1910-1919
    examples have a look that I am really drawn to, like flat frame above the fuel
    tank till about 80% back, then it bends, and goes under the seat). I'm very
    short on knowledge of what can be done for each bracket of $5,000 expense.
    Further, I don't know which bikes have the most "stuff" out there to acquire,
    starting with examples that are from the nineteen teens and the art deco look-
    ing Indians, which I believe are post WW2. Thank you for asking!
    Jack