Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 27 JD Restoration

Default 27 JD Restoration

i have not posted much of my 27 JD project, so i thought i'd share what i'm up to.

so will give my progress report ! i'm not as much of a picture take as i'd like to be, but i'll load all my pics in this thread, so as to keep things in one place.

my front fork assy, cyls, crankcases, generator drive case and frame are undergoing repairs and straightening. my machinist/motorcycle mechanic friend is making pushers so we can get the rod races out, he'll supervise me assembling/truing the flywheel assy (: i'm hoping all this repair/rebuild work will be finished by early winter, so i can start fitting all parts together for the "mock up" assembly stage..... (:

on the trans, i replaced all new shafts, gears, bearings, kick shaft bushing and silver soldered the split bushing on the new main shaft. i used a sealed ball bearing on the sprocket side of trans. i removed the seals of the new kick start side bearing so the kick start/clutch fork mechanisms get their lubrication. i did not use the brass oil retainers, since they have no actual sealing capability. i'm expecting the sealed large bearing will keep things dry on the sprocket side. sealed the open end of the counter shaft. adjusted end play on drive gear; shafts, gears turn/slide smoothly and shifts easily/crisply. the clutch release fork shafts fit snugly top and bottom and turns smoothly.

however i am s l o w l y dripping oil out of the lower shaft of the clutch release fork, i'm thinking since it's not sealed and steel on steel, it will leak........ ?

another question i have, the riders handbook says the mechanical oil pump comes adjusted from the factory with "one thick and three thin washers." what is the thickness of the thin and thick washers ?

since i'm using a fair amount of repro (like original) parts and my bike won't be exactly 100% correct, i've decided i'm going to do a tasteful, yet minimal over-restoration to suit my personal preferences, since i won't be showing the machine, just riding it for enjoyment. planning to go with 2k enamel urethane, hand pin striping/decals covered w/ clear. i'm thinking i will use minimally more nickle plating on select engine/chassis fasteners; the rest parkerized. my cyls are a rear 27 and an early 28 front, will be nickle plated, having the front spark plug hole converted to the older larger 27 size. if both bores weren't standard and the cylinders so intact, i'd look for a front 27. as it stands, it appears both std, not out of round bores can be honed to accept new std.pistons, i'm going with 8:1 Venolias. at worst, i will have to go to the 1st o.s.

my inspiration comes from my Dad on his 27 in ROTC uniform and his can of touch up paint. and, all you guys !

well for the moment, that's all i can think of.... i will appreciate any thoughts or comments on what i've posted !

Dad27JD 005.jpg16811910-770-0.jpgJD11090 013.jpgJD rear wheel 001.jpgJD 11090 trans complete 001.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 03-13-2014 at 02:04 AM.

morn n Steve, look n good, your moving right along. good on you. just trying to put a face to the name, where you at the meeting at Woodys Wheels monday? gary from Falcon

hi Gary, i can't remember being at Woody's.....

So, i've made it a little further ! posted pics of my generator drive case, the weld repair, new bushes in gears and complete assembly. of course the thin lip of the hole the generator shaft was over half broken out.

Next week i will have my crankcases back, will find a time in the near future when my friend and i can assemble and true the flywheels. Of course, using all new pins, roller bearings, bushings, etc. (from Comp.D.)

i've been studying the 1918 "MC Repair Manual for the Guidance of the MC Repair Man" how to size left and right bearings, then align bushed cases to fit flywheel assembly to cases.

What i am going to ask next is a HUGE favor, if anyone can and will help me.

When the time comes, since i'm fitting new, the right timing side bronze bushing and the left drive side steel bushing, it seems certain i'll need the lining bar GK-862. Would anyone who is brave enough and would trust me, loan me their tool ? i would pay insurance and postage to and from and some extra for gratitude to use the tool.

i could get my friend to make one up, but it will be more time and money to make a tool i'll only use once.

Thank you sincerely for your consideration and help to date.

Steve Swan 970.443.2432 sandcast232@...
    Fort Collins , Colorado

PS planning to use aerosol Glyptal 1201-A to coat my inner cases, since i've seen other guys use Glyptal. Thoughts ?

Generator drive case 001.jpgGenerator drive case 003.jpgGenerator drive case 004.jpgGenerator drive case 005.jpgGenerator drive case 006.jpg

one last pics of gears in place spin easy and free.

Generator driver case 002.jpg

It's been a while since i last posted on my 27JD, i've actually got quite a bit of work done. here is a picture of the crankcase repair at the rear mount, unfortunately i did not take a picture of the rear mount pair of cracks that extended in to the crank pan it's self. Also a picture of my chassis assembly, making sure everything fits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, it's been a year last September since my last post. Alot of progress has taken place. i will be posting pictures and will try to have some in depth photos as the project progresses. As you know, i basically started with a 27 frame, engine, trans, ft/rr wheel hubs. i have restored many motorcycles over the decades and had a much more full scale shop in an earlier life.... The JD is the "deepest" project i have ever taken on, and with a bent frame, broken crank cases, twisted and freeze burst forks, i will say i had quite a handful, especially considering i do not have the heavy equipment to do such major repairs, have a shortage of shop space and since i intend the 27 to be my only old motorcycle project, it does not seem practical nor is it economically feasible to buy the the equipment to bring back to life a restoration project of such depth. So, i decided i would need help from various guys who are familiar with JD's and work on them as a vocation/avocation. That being said, i must take the this space to sincerely thank several really great guys and hope to have the privilege of meeting them some day, as i do intend on attending a couple meets where these guys attend. So, a great thank you to: Mark Masa, Jon Neuman, Bob Luland, Tom Feeser, Marty MacCallom, Jim and Paul Osborne. and, of course the AMCA, for having this discussion board i have diligently studied. i feel really fortunate to have found such a great group of guys to aid my efforts, as i had never seen a JD until i bought mine and have spent many hours researching literature, studying pictures, talking to JD good fellows on the phone, email, etc. Although i am "doing it the hard way," i really am quite proud of the fact i am bringing a motorcycle back to life that started with not a whole lot there in the first place. about all i have left as far as missing parts go are some nuts, bolts, washers and a couple miscellaneous parts.

enclosed you'll find my frame on the lift. i am planning there will be two builds. the first "build" will be an actual fitting together of all the parts i have to make sure everything FITS like it's supposed to. The goal is to have a properly operating, well running motorcycle when the first build is complete. then i will take the bike apart and apply the different finishes to the various parts. Then the 2nd or final build of assembling the restored parts. i would really love to run the engine on a test stand before i actually drive the motorcycle down the road for the first time. we'll see........

i most definitely welcome and i do ask for constructive comments, particularly if you see me doing something or missing something that could be done a better/easier way, create a problem or be a mistake.

i will be post pics as things go together.

So anyway, here are a couple pics of frame on lift as well as a couple other pics of a couple restorations i just finished in my shop.

20160116_144836.jpg20160116_145934.jpg
    20151221_144501.jpg20160105_175256.jpg20160105_175607.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 01-17-2016 at 01:30 AM. Reason: addtnl pics, text, spelling

Here is my lower end assembly, i just got it back from Truett & Osborne last month. They fit slightly undersize rollers to help trap oil in the lower end bearing assembly, the side play is .007" new bushings and drive side bearing race/bearings fitted. i intend to separate the cases, remove flywheel assembly, fit the left case to frame. after case is fit to frame, then will put cases together, install cylinder studs, install unassembled cylinders to cases and fit the engine "core" to lower and upper mounts. once engine's fitted to frame, then cases will come apart to be painted Olive Green. not quite ready to actually get to that point, as i am working on other projects, but pictures will follow. but, being at the stage where i could set the frame on the lift was a huge step forward. i am really excited, but i shall proceed methodically and deliberately. the cam is Mark Masa's.

20151223_174125.jpg20151223_174402.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 01-17-2016 at 01:44 AM. Reason: addtnl text

i have had the paint from my Dad's can of touch up paint matched, it appears to be an exact match.
    Olive Green Chip 002.jpgolive green 001.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Swan; 01-17-2016 at 10:06 AM. Reason: substitute pic