Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VL Fuel Tanks/stud removals

Default VL Fuel Tanks/stud removals

I am dis-assembling the fuel tanks from my '36 VL frame - they came attached along with a few other items when I purchased the frame. First off, did the factory paint the area between the two tank sides or were they just primed ?? Mine is an off white while the rest of the tanks is red. Secondly, the tanks look solid but have a few dents. Can anyone recommend someone to remove the dents ? I understand they can be cut open then re-welded. Any other tips ??

Lastly, I wanted to get a few stud removers for my VL project - mainly for the cylinder base studs and transmission studs. I believe the cylinder base studs are 7/16x20 but what about the transmission studs ?? can anyone recommend others that would be helpful for the project ??
    as always,
    thanks
    Dan

I believe the tanks are soldered together, not welded and will probably have to be disassembled to work on the dents, then re-soldered.
    I recently took my VL tanks to a local radiator shop to be rebuilt as one was leaking and both were in bad shape from sitting 8 years with gas in them. The leak had been "repaired" with JB-Weld and both tanks "Creemed," a real mess. The radiator shop was OBVIOUSLY not a body shop as the tanks came back with more dents and dings than when they went in. Their rebuild indicated that my bike had been crashed seriously in the past, several large chunks of (still-painted) bondo were returned along with the tanks. I have many hours invested just to get the tanks to fit properly back on the frame and still have to fill the dings and paint, learning as I go with guidance from an auto painter and friend. I can't afford to have it professionally done so that's not an option.
    This shop has rebuilt many motorcycle tanks but never a VL, said they wouldn't touch another one for less than $1000, "too many pieces," way more hours than they anticipated.
    Sorry I can't be more optimistic and have better answers for you.
    Rich

Rich is right telling you of his recent go around, there are many pieces, patches, vents that people do not know about. they will unsolder and come apart to help get the tanks dents removed from the inside. but minor dents can be removed with a stud gun at a good body shop. My 1934 RLDR tanks were done up north by people that know more than radiators, costs depends on how bad the tanks are on inside and old repairs

The best Stud removal tool is the snap-on set but Colony sells a 9 piece set or you can buy just the size you need with a two pack of each size. Tedd only shows the 9 piece set. Shelby

Dear Dan, the VL/JD transmission studs are 5/16" UNC below and 5/16" UNF on top.

Dan,

My tanks were painted all over but they are repaints so can't say for sure what the factory did but would imagine they were painted all over. Shelby speaks the truth about VL and early Indian tanks as I have both and have had them worked on. They have had to go back numerous times to fix the fixes because when you solder one spot it weakens another due to the heat.. If they disassemble the tanks then they need to redo everything to make sure they don't leak. Even then be careful not to overtighten things as it will pull on things and open them back up. The down side of soldered tanks. If you want to check out replacement tanks call Tom Fesser at Replicant Metals as he makes dead on replacements that you can send right off for paint. I think Tom has the tanks both soldered and welded and if I were to do them again I would go with welded ones.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
    Dear Dan, the VL/JD transmission studs are 5/16" UNC below and 5/16" UNF on top.
    This may be off topic but I often wondered why UNC was used in some places and UNF in others. Are there certain applications where fine is preferable to coarse and vise versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Kozy View Post
    This may be off topic but I often wondered why UNC was used in some places and UNF in others. Are there certain applications where fine is preferable to coarse and vise versa?
    Studs anchor better with a coarse thread in alum or cast iron,while the fine thread on top provides better clamping force.Tom

Thanks Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by tfburke3 View Post
    Studs anchor better with a coarse thread in alum or cast iron,while the fine thread on top provides better clamping force.Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tfburke3 View Post
    The course threads have more surface area, depth of thread, giving more shear strength in soft materials and the fine threads do provide a better clamping force. Also the fine threads with a shallow thread angle holds torque better under vibration.

I would also recommend Tom Feeser for new Tanks, the quality is above reproach. Shelby
    Last edited by shelbyinparadise; 12-17-2013 at 11:09 PM.

I have an original 35 vl tank and it is painted al the way around so I think a 36 would be painted also. everyone tells me its best just to run repop tanks no leakes and cheaper on body work.goodluck