Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1942 WLA Bobber Build

I'm now working on the sheet metal and frame. This pic shows the alignment tool used for the reserve gas valve rod installation (another tool you can't live without.)

I welded the mounts for the trim and badges on the tanks (that's a repop badge, I was goofing around with different color schemes.)

Heres a pic with the tanks and a later fender installed. I found somebody who needs that fender and tail for their 1952 build so that's gone now. A bobbed military fender is going on.

And finally, where I'm at. The frame had a chopped sportster (or something) neck welded on and somebody had modified the rear frame ends.

I have the proper frame ends and I am currently waiting for the framehead casting I bought to come in to put this baby back to original.

You take much better pictures than I do Alan. I think projects like your's are the best thing you'll see on a forum because even though the bikes are different, you can learn from the applicatations, and solutions. Glad you found a neck casting; that will really kick your project into gear.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Quote Originally Posted by exeric View Post
    You take much better pictures than I do Alan. I think projects like your's are the best thing you'll see on a forum because even though the bikes are different, you can learn from the applicatations, and solutions. Glad you found a neck casting; that will really kick your project into gear.
    Thanks Eric, the hardest part about taking the pics is not getting smegma on the lens. I can't believe how hard it was to find that frigging casting, when all is said and done I still will be well under what frames are going for on flea bay right now. The build can hit high gear now that the frame will be repaired, I'll spend some more time cleaning it up and painting it then it will start looking like a bike!

Nice work Alan. I see you have the tank trim installed. Where did you find your neck casting?
    Len.

Quote Originally Posted by len dowe View Post
    Nice work Alan. I see you have the tank trim installed. Where did you find your neck casting?
    Len.
    Thanks Len, I tweaked the trim in and got it to stay on. I might tweak it a little more, I don't want it popping off when she finally runs although it may be enough when there is paint on the tank. I got it from a company in the Netherlands, cost a few samolians

very cool, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the future.

Great thread! Who'd a thunk this category change would bring projects to the light so quickly? Again.... great idea Eric! I will be following this build for sure! Thanks for taking the time to post it Alan.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Quote Originally Posted by c.o. View Post
    Great thread! Who'd a thunk this category change would bring projects to the light so quickly? Again.... great idea Eric! I will be following this build for sure! Thanks for taking the time to post it Alan.
    I have a lot more pics and trials and tribulations when it comes to the engine and tranny build as well as the frame. If I can help out any way as far as questions and inquiries to this point I'd be more than happy. I'm glad the new thread name is being welcomed, Eric hit it on point. Thanks for the support!

So I got my neck casting and rear axle supports, I have to say I was a little worried about the fit but it turned out they fit perfectly

I'm also restoring this primary cover, she's a work in progress