Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Motorcycles Fours History

Wow... that was shocking Eric... yet, not surprising.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Andrew, perhaps try contacting the Indian Four Cylinder Club. At the meet in Tiffin Ohio last August, there was a gentleman with a beautiful Cleveland Four. Maybe they know the person, and get you connected. The bike was obviously restored by a very knowledgeable master Cleveland mechanic. Good Luck. Love the Clevelands.

About 7 or 8 years ago I was riding my '40 Chief in our Sarasota neighborhood. An older neighbor, 2 streets over flagged me down. We had a nice talk about old bikes and he mentioned that his older brother had a Cleveland Tornado. Very few people have heard of a Cleveland 4, and even fewer would know that they made a Tornado model. He was no doubt the last person I'll ever talk to that had a direct connection with a newly made motorcycle from the late 20s.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Thanks again everyone for the information,

rigb, I have emailed the "askindian4club" email at the indian four club to try and track down the member that was at their Tiffin Ohio meet with the cleveland four.

I also found an interesting conference that Stephano Milani did on multicylinder motorcycles in italy on an italian site dedicated to preserving their countrys motoring history.
    Its a really good read about why american motorcycle manufacturing slowed down, really because of Henry Fords huge leaps in cheaper manufacturing methods, and americas new hunger for automobiles.

Here's a link to the document transated into english (its still jumbled a little but readable):
    http://translate.google.com.au/trans...iew%26gid%3D60

I'm currently trying to find old articles and ads about Cleveland motorcycles from magazines and newspapers from back in the 1920's.
    A lot of the reproduction ads for sale on fleabay are from American Motorcyclist and Bicyclist magazine, and I am trying to find a source for this magazine.

I was reading another post on this forum called *** Cleveland Motorcycle Information Needed *** and a user named Tommo said he had a trove of articles he had collected and he was photocopying and posting them to members for a fee.
    If your still out there Tommo, I have PM'd you and I would also like to get a copy of those articles if you still have them.

Sargehere, I did also find an article on the Streamlined French motorcycle's that used Cleveland engines (but I forgot to save the link) . From the looks of it they designed the motorcycle to take the engine, but by the time it got to production the Cleveland company had closed so they used other european engines, but still advertised it as an option to have a Cleveland four.

Thanks again,
    Fletty

Rick Wolfe from Ontario has a cleveland four.He would also have information you need.Hope this helps. John

Quote Originally Posted by Panuckle View Post
    Rick Wolfe from Ontario has a cleveland four.He would also have information you need.Hope this helps. John
    Thanks for the info Panuckle, I have PM'd Rick, so hopefully I get a reply.

Also, here is the website I found explaining the streamlined French bike with the Cleveland Engine:
    http://www.bikebandit.com/community/...-1929-majestic

And another fantastic link I have found is the archive.org website, they have started digitising very old motorcycle magazines 1880s-1910s and you can read them for free:
    http://archive.org/details/bicyc6224191081911newy

http://archive.org/search.php?query=motorcycle&page=4

Fletty

I,m going to the 4 cylinder meet in 2 weeks. If I see any Cleveland fours I will get you a contact.

Default Clark's Trading Post

Dave Clark at Clark's Trading Post in central New Hampshire has a couple of Cleveland 4s. Very cool place with lots of stuff to see and located in the heart of very beautiful New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by 50indian View Post
    Dave Clark at Clark's Trading Post in central New Hampshire has a couple of Cleveland 4s. Very cool place with lots of stuff to see and located in the heart of very beautiful New Hampshire
    Thanks 50indian for the lead. I googled Clarks trading post to see if I could find any pictures but the only one I could find is at the bottom of this page, and I think it is a Cleveland or 2 poking out behind the Indian Four:

http://www.fuzzygalore.com/2007/08/n...-trading-post/

I emailed them to see if they could send me some pictures of the Cleveland Fours in the Avery's museum. You didn't happen to take any when you were there that you could email me?

I am slowly gathering many articles from old magazines and pages from books about the Cleveland company, I also bought the "Motorcyclings Golden Age of the Fours" book by Ted Hodgdon and I am anxiously waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

also rigb, thankyou very much for helping me find a contact. I am trying very hard to find someone who i can bounce questions and dimensions off to start drawing one in 3D.

That's a great book you well enjoy it. Richard Morris had at least 4 Clevelands I believe + he knows alot about them.