Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newby here, Confederate from Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Hey Jeff,

I greeted you over on the other site too with a PM. Go by Waugh's in Orange VA and see Don's Confederate edition HD. He pulled it off the show room floor when they first came out and has it in mini museum. A good time to go would be when he has his Big Damn Bike show in June. Probably a 2-3 hour ride for you. It is on their web site. Some us from the Highlands chapter will be going. Hope to see you there.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA # 12766
    That is on my list... I am wanting to go see it for sure. will try.. Would like to meet some from the local chapter too.
    77 HD Confederate Edition Super Glide
    Jeff Fleming

Jeff,
    I was pretty sure they only made XL and FXE models, but 77 was a long time ago. One of your photos shows your machine with the correct single 'rattler' disc, only the FXS and XLCR had dual discs in 77. Your FXE had the flatter -77 buckhorns, not the -74 style. Of course, you may already know this. Nice job on the feaux Confederate fat bobs.
    VPH-D

You are sharper than a pencil. Yes the single disk is correct for my year/model.. It was on there when I bought it. It also had a 21" wheel and fender on there when I bought it.. I found a used front end with the correct fender and wheel but it had the dual disk. I personally like the look of the dual disc so I put it on there. I still have the single disk front.. I will need it again one day..
    One thing you said I did not know. What are the flatter buckhorns verses the 74 style. Guess I need to see them side by side to know the difference. I have 2 or 3 buckhorn bars. Guess I need to find out what I got. They might be the wrong ones..
    Last edited by 77HDFX; 03-14-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    Jeff Fleming

The -77 bars were 'flatter' than the -74 bars. IIRC, we were told the low rise bars were to conform to some requirement about seat to hand grip distance. I think the -77s were used thru 1980. The width of the -77s was about the same as -74s, but did not rise up as far as the earlier models, and the grips were more parallel to the centerline of the bike. Side by side, the low bars should should be easy to identify.
    VPH-D

Cool been a member a couple days and learning new stuff. Thanks
    Jeff Fleming