Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indian Spark Plug

Marty, those were great articles the first time around and I just read them again. Did you come across much in the way of pre-15 info in your research?

Phillie, if your heart is set on that particular plug then I would show the image to the artist and take a better version of the Indian head logo with you as well. A good artist could help you out easy enough I'm thinkin'...
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

I'll keep hunting. He is a great artist he has 13 books out so drawing it up won't be an issue. I just want the best possible picture. Thanks for your help and Marty thanks for the articles.

Thanks for the kind words Cory and phillie.
    I found out about the early script plug by accident, as there really is no documentation that I have been able to find for any further verification. I was a result of an ebay auction, then found the NOS plug I have now
    Bethlehem plugs was around from early teens until early twenties and bought out. Their script pkug is the first known use of the script on an Indian spark plug. It is a large thread plug. Someone else has run one on ebay for some ridiculous amount and it is not in great shape, but has a different shaped base. Only two I have seen so far.
    This is the type of stuff that needs re discovery, as we no longer have the living to ask on some of this. This is the kind of history that really excites me- the small details that are normally forgotten. It was the same with the Indian batteries.

I've been looking through modern day photos of pre-15 machines. Most have later or modern type plugs it seems. I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for this detail now. I agree Marty, this can be exciting stuff!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Cory, what originally sparked my desire for discovery was when activly judging, we always had the next best alternative rule used when reproduction parts were totally unavailable. This was primarily the disposables, especially batteries. When the battery was as obvious on all Indians after 1932, it was a must if nothing else, for proper cosmetics. Then a number of years ago, just like I mentioned ,Robin threw up to me when describing a project that was really complete, what was I going to do about the spark plugs? It became clear- the motorcycle really needs all the stuff- plugs, battery/battery case, tools, original manual, and original brochure, year of manufacture plate. To me, this is real concours now and restoration at it's best. At the same time, it really is preservation of the total machine- all aspects of it. Really separates the men from the boys. Of course, not everyone is as anal compulsive as me on some of this. Discovering the info and making it available was how I channeled my energy when the judging situation frustated me that I had to give back in a different way. I hope to have an article that better shows dimmer switches for the 35-53 period sometime next year. Again, many have never seen some of these. Many are extemely rare in any condition. Other than the 41-48 dimmer, most were crap and rarely survived. As mentioned- exciting stuff!

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

Hmmmm, Got a dimmer for my 440??
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

I tried to get a bunch of pics this summer of different plugs. Check out my smugmug page in the motorcycle secton there are a bunch of galleries. As always if you see a picture you need or want message me and I will email the full size image. www.rememberwhenphotography.smugmug.com

And dimmer switches too??? I'm gonna soak this stuff up so that when I hang out with my Indian riding buddies I can school them on the details.... Thanks for taking the time to figure this stuff out Marty.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Those are some kinda great photos Phillie!!! I haven't gotten to the plug specific shots yet but I've covered a bunch of 'em. Great stuff!!! Oh, did you get a good look at the plug in the Camelback Indian from the Rhinebeck shots???
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

I have only had my hands on one complete switch. The metal housing you can find anytime. The baseball bat style toggle switch, next to impossible. They were a total pice of crap inside. I got one two years ago- a friend had one on a $5 table and just gave it to me. Said he didn't need it and didn't care what it was. Every other one I have seen was broken. Amazingly, they show up more on European bikes because of that French order at the start of WWII. When they are eventually photograghed, you will understand why they just fell apart.