Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian Spark Plug

Default Indian Spark Plug

Hi Guys I am looking for a good picture of the Indian Spark Plug that they used on the Hendee Special that Cory posted in another thread. Going to get a new tat and want to tie that in with it. Thanks for any help!!

Hmm... I've posted a few different Hendee Specials over the years. Are you looking for the actual Indian plug or the Splitdorf?
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

The one with the Indian Head logo on it.

For the life of me I can't recall the photo. I can't seem to recall the plug at the moment either. I've seen the Edison Splitdorf and the Champions in that vintage of Indian and of course the script type plugs on later models. I'll pay attention and maybe in the meantime someone will round up the image you want.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

O.K. now I remember!!! It must be the sometimers.... sometimes I remember and sometimes I don't!!! I went back and tried to enlarge that small plug photo but it only wanted to distort. It looks a lot like an Edison plug with an Indian head on the porcelain. I'll keep my eyes open for a better image though...
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Thanks Cory

Please check my recent spark plug article on Indian plugs and look at the picture of the Indian script Bethlehem 775 plug. This was probably the plug used, not the one in the picture, which I have seen many times (has the head of an indian chief), but the Bethlehem Indian script is ultra rare. The Bethlehem plugs are documented to have been made during the period the Hendee Special was available, at least as early as 1915 based on info available about the Bethlehem factory, if not earlier.
    Also, the size of the plug shown is typical of smaller sized plugs (same thread size) but the body of the plug does not appear to be in keeping with the bulky earlier type plugs. The 775 fits that description. Marty

bikerdds do you have a picture of the Indian head plug? I am not really thinking about what it went in but I want to get a tattoo with that plug. Where could I find the article I would love to read it!

I think it was the fall and summer 2012 issues. Check for the picture of the Bethlehem plug. It is the earliest known Indian script plug, and is from the teens to early twenties. The Indian head with the chief headress I do not believe is an Indian motorcycle plug. No info to support this has ever come across my desk, that's for sure. The Indian script was particular to Indian and used into the late forties on 14mm plugs, but unknown for how long in the teens and twenties. Bethlem was bought out in the early 20's, and the name disappears. Have not seen anything from the mid-late twenties with the Indian name until Edison in 1935.