Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atmospheric valve on early motor

Hi Cory.... THAT is worth checking as well!

Love this place!

Cheers,

Sirhr

2. Default

Hi Sirhr. Were you able to get that Timeless intake to work? (I only check this forum every so often, and just saw your thread). It sounds like you have checked the fuel flow at the carb. One thing that I like to try is to flood the carb with the tickler button on the float. If the motor runs better, then it needed more fuel. If it runs worse, maybe it needed more air. Also, are your loops in the copper fuel line horizontal or vertical? The old bikes always used horizontal loops to prevent any air bubbles from forming and stopping the fuel flow.

Did you drop any powder graphite onto the valve stem? It might not last long though. Try a squirt of 3in1 oil while it is running to see if that helps. Also, the intake valve springs can be tricky to dial in. A stiff spring is better for higher rpms, but a weaker spring is better for low rpms. When you let the bike run for 30 seconds and then it dies, is it running at the same rpm the whole time? Or is the problem related to the motor speed?

Keep at it, you'll have it on the road soon. I really love the idea of buying a Timeless and riding it, modifying as needed. They are very affordable compared to the 100 year old bikes, but give the same feel when you are going down the road.

regards,
    Pete

Hi Ross, my name is Jay im new on here and also with the timeless motorcycle. Id really like some solid advice and first hand experience knowledge on the carb, timing and any other tips as id really like using what it comes with, il tinker til the cows come home. If you could call me im in edmonton at 780297 1544 its Jay.

Hi my name is Jay, im getting into a timeless bike and aware of some things needing attention. I was really hoping we could talk over the phone as ive read a lot on the forum ( what ive been able to find so far anyways) could we talk? My number is 780 297 1544, im in edmonton Alberta, and im new to the AMCA, so any help would save me a ton!!

Hi Cory my name is Jay im trying to get as much help on a timeless bike as im able, ive read a lot so far on the forum as ive tryed searching different areas, but id really like to keep the parts mostly that it comes with, the carb, battery ignition, and just tinker to make the thing work, so i was hoping we coyld talk on the phone as its way faster and easy. My number is 780 297 1544, its Jay. Or if i can call you back id do that too. Any other people you know with this bike id really appreciate to know!!

are the timeless chassis very good? i've seen a couple for sale with real hd motors in them. seems like an affordable way to ride a pre 16 without worrying about damaging a real one.

I hope Cory's okay!...

Its been quite a while since we have heard from him.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

I really cant say what the appearance is of the frame, i dont have that part. I was asking for guidance with the carb tinkering with spring rates for air valve, and the engines intake spring rate for proper running, so if anybody has answers thatll be great!

Flyin.mauer!

Our member Tommo posted H model airvalve spring pressure instructions, adjusted in the middle of their adjustment travel, depending upon the carb size. (3 oz and 5 oz, basically...)

(I recently encountered a very early 3/4" screw-on, with a very well preserved spring of a very small gauge wire, that was much less.. so its a good thing they are adjustable!)

I am totally ignorant of the modern reproductions, so photos would be appreciated, thanks!

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-03-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Thats pretty cool to know that 3oz for the small schebler is what it takes to unseat the leather valve. Mike lang has told me his motor idles real sweet with a spring having only 2oz before it unseats, and this makes sense as most everyone has over rich running troubles. Id like to find where i can get a teflon replacement instead of leather so it isnt a factor either