Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Side stand question

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

I certainly understand. PM me if you care to.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Finally got back to the Indian this week. Pulled off the side stand with the intention of fabricating a shoe that would slip over the foot of the side stand and lock into place with a lock bolt. That is when I noticed that the leg is bent both upward and forward. Looking at Jerry Greer's parts diagrams, since there is zilch in the Indian parts book, I see that he shows the leg as dead straight. Now it just may be straight because it is easier to draw that way, but given the accuracy of his drawings on other parts, I tend to think that if the leg was curved, his diagram would be curved.

So, here are two pics of my stand with a straight edge next to it and aligned with the straight portion which runs from the pivot point to about half way down the leg. The bend to the front starts at about the same area.

If it is bent, I'd like to straighten it. I've had good luck cold straigtening these cast steel items on Brit bikes. I've had bad luck using heat as a cast stand snapped like a piece of glass after and I did not quench it. So, needless to say, I'm gunshy of using heat on this. But I'm open to suggestions from those who have already been down the road.

More importantly however is the question, is it bent or is that the way it came from Springfield?

regards,
    Rob
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

Default side stand...

Here's my disclaimer... Im a Chief owner. With that said, here's my 2 cents worth. I had a badly worn shoe on my '36 Chief, and was lucky enough to find a NOS leg for the correct side stand for my application. Then I took then worn out leg and (like you have done), put them side-by-side with the new (NOS) side stand to see really how much metal actually had been worn off the bad leg. I was surprised to see the foot was nearly a half inch thick !! So, I went to the metal supply and found a piece of chrome-moly round stock which was the same diameter (2") as the correct shoe on NOS piece. Sliced a piece half an inch thick, then the hard part was matching the angle on the old leg to the correct angle desired. Im not a welder, so I took the pieces to my friend and he BRAZED the parts together (I didn't think welding was a good idea). Then I bead-blasted the entire leg and new shoe, painted it with black wrinkle-paint. Looks just like the NOS one now !! and now Ive got a spare. I was surprised that the foot on the NOS was actually a half inch thick. And Im pretty sure that the chrome-moly foot won't wear as quickly as the cast piece. Hope this helps, as an Indian that falls over on the side stand is NOT a good thing. Good Luck.

Thanks for that info, Chief. I thought I had replied to you, but now see that it is not hear. This happened to me once before. Not sure if it is me or the site.

Spoke with Todd at Greer's he said they are straight. I still have not found an expert that has ever straightened these and I'm not doing anything to this stand until I do. Making a shoe would be a good therapy project anyway.

regards,
    Rob
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

Thought I'd provide follow-up info on what I learned and ended up doing.

A gent with 5 30's vintage Fours tells me the original stands were soft. Said they all bend and many will break. Said if my plan it to ride the bike, to go buy a modern repop as it will be better material. So that's what I did. I found a nice NOS repop, mounted it to my bracket and it works fine.

The pivot hole on my stand is worn compared to the repop. The repop is also straight. Lean angle of the bike is much better now. So, I've hung the original on a nail in the shop.

regards,
    Rob
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

Rob, glad to hear you got things sorted out. The thought of that bike falling over due to stand failure is terrifying!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Cory,

If it seems terrifying to you, think about how I feel about it. ;-)

regards,
    Rob
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeoil View Post
    Cory,

If it seems terrifying to you, think about how I feel about it. ;-)

regards,
    Rob
    Exactly what I was thinking!!! ;-)
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Default The fix for the fix

I thought I posted it here, but I apparently posted follow up stuff in another thread. Anyway, after talking with a few folks that seem to know their stuff, general consensus was get a repop stand if I'm going to use the bike. So, I rummaged thru Chuck Myles pile and box of stands and found a repop stand with no markings. Turns out, it was probably softer than the original Indian stand I had. It was pretty straight when I got it, but after starting the bike several times, it took on the shape of a piece of well cooked pasta.

Decided that I'd make the stand stronger by adding a gusset that turned into a full length web. I had added a thick foot to the stand by the time I noticed it was bending. So the new foot became a good anchor point for the new web.

Web is 1/4" hot rolled steel I had in my supply of metal. Cut it with my band saw and then ground it to fit the existing profile of the stand. My Snap-On 120 VAC MIG welder was maxed out welding this thick a material, but it did the job.

Here's the finished product. Yeah, I know. It looks like a thick shoe for someone with a short leg. But it's strong and that's what I wanted. I straightened it first in my press, which is what I'll probably do to my OEM stand.

Feel free to point and laugh. I modified it for functionality and not form. If this did not work, my next move was to modify a HD stand to fit the bike.

With use that foot will grind down to a flat surface and offer a wider footprint. Until then, I won't be parking it on any of my friends' blacktop driveways on hot summer days.

regards,
    Rob
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811