Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pewter Run 2012 -- Gets better every year!!!

Thanks c.o. I was one of the wimps that left my bike home...lol I still went to support the event with my camera though!!

Quote Originally Posted by phillie View Post
    Thanks c.o. I was one of the wimps that left my bike home...lol I still went to support the event with my camera though!!
    Well... at least you brought your camera! Thanks again!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

I've been watching this run for a few years and have brought it up here on this forum and others a few times and hope to make it one day. But I see it as a run similar to the Brighton run in England and think it would be great for a lot more pre 20 bikes to run. Being over shadowed by the cannonball run where teens and twenty bikes are running thousands of miles it is just not to impressive for later model bikes from say the 40's up to run a hundred miles. I'm taking my VL on a 2 hundred mile camping trip this weekend to a Panhead party that's on it's 24th year, hell I figure someone should ride an old bike up there. I would love to see this run grow into a huge early bike run and I'm glad the dates were moved as to not conflict with the Davenport meet. Hopefully, I will be able to make it next year, thanks.
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Make Plans to Attend the 9th Annual Southern National Meet May, 2018
    Denton FarmPark, Denton, NC

http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/index.htm

Outtasight.....
    Mark Evans
    Gloucester, Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by LouieMCman View Post
    I've been watching this run for a few years and have brought it up here on this forum and others a few times and hope to make it one day. But I see it as a run similar to the Brighton run in England and think it would be great for a lot more pre 20 bikes to run. Being over shadowed by the cannonball run where teens and twenty bikes are running thousands of miles it is just not to impressive for later model bikes from say the 40's up to run a hundred miles. I'm taking my VL on a 2 hundred mile camping trip this weekend to a Panhead party that's on it's 24th year, hell I figure someone should ride an old bike up there. I would love to see this run grow into a huge early bike run and I'm glad the dates were moved as to not conflict with the Davenport meet. Hopefully, I will be able to make it next year, thanks.
    Louie:

Great event for all the reasons you cite. And agree that a 50 mile run is not that stressful for the 1930's bikes.

That said, the more difficult/challenging/time consuming you make an event, the fewer people can do it or take the time. The Pewter Run has managed to strike a great balance where lots of busy people can bring bikes out and show them, ride them and have a ball doing it. Every year, it gets bigger, more widely known and more popular.

The fact that this year people brought their bikes (including some high dollar Brough and Vincent machines... as well as leather belt-drive bikes, etc) out in the rain... tells me that they have the right formula... at least for The Pewter Run!

I love your thought of a London-to-Brighton style run for really early MC's. And I think there is a Flavor of that in the PR... but London to Brighton has become a high-dollar, high-prestige, major production that has priced a lot of enthusiasts out of the market. Bit like playing at Pebble Beach when it comes to cars. The PR has really done well being a low-pressure, fun, accessible and enjoyable event with no pretentions. Riders with old iron... riding. I think it serves that purpose well. And the faithful definitely attend. Rain or shine.

Hoping that next year, it's even bigger. And with guys like you (Louie) both looking forward to it and hopefully promoting it, the event can only get bigger and better. I just hope it stays fun and low pressure. Because that's what differentiates it from a lot of the events these days where competition trumps fun.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thumbs up

They are some really nice pictures, but I have to ask... just what is a "Pewter Run"?
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    They are some really nice pictures, but I have to ask... just what is a "Pewter Run"?
    Here you go Jim! http://www.pewterrun.com/Rules.html
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

www.pewterrun.org

It's a road run for pre-1950 bikes. Though a few later 'interesting' bikes can participate by application. It's about a 50 mile run. Time distance. So you are trying to modulate your speed for a perfect time.

Held in NH during foliage season.

Got it's name because the founder (who is a vintage bike lover and rider) has a pewter casting operation/foundry. All the trophies and medals are hand-cast pewter made in his shop. They are absolutely lovely. I've won a lot of trophies at bike shows over the years. The only ones I display are my Pewter Run trophies! A. because they are beautiful. B. because they represent riding skill, not just leaving my bike in a parking lot and waiting for votes.

If you check earlier in the thread, you will find links to the event etc. If you are in the Northeast, it is a fantastic event. About 6 - 8 years old now.... and growing leaps and bounds.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thanks guys! It sure does sound like a lot of FUN! Looks like a GREAT area to have a run at that time of year too.
    Jim

AMCA #6520