Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannonball III????

Default Cannonball III????

Anybody heard any rumours about a Cannonball III in 2014?

I'd love to see a coast-to-coast ride on pre war (1942 or earlier) bikes. Tighten up the schedule, allow for only owner or other rider repairs, no machine shops on wheels, etc. Taking only what you could carry. Maybe make it a round-trip ride. Would be interesting.
    Lonnie Campbell #9
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Fifth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 16 - 18, 2014 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C. Our theme this year is "Race Bikes".

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

no machine shops, carry your own tools and parts, love it! I know the original Baker use to sleep beside his bike, I could do that a few times but too old and a nice bed off the ground would be prefered. grin.
    Bob Beatty
    AMCA 19209

How about a ride that ends where it starts? Would be cheaper for the common man, wouldn't have to go coast to coast to coast, saving gas and time. Not everyone has a spare 3-4 weeks and $10,000. I know it wouldn't be a true cannonball like the one's a hundred years ago, but none of them are. Attested by some of those support rigs I saw at this years event. Just some ideas.
    Louie
    Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Make Plans to Attend the 4th annual Southern National Meet May, 2014
    Denton FarmPark Denton, NC

http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/index.htm

As I sip my morning coffee and search for post Cannonball II therapy support groups. I can't help wonder when will we first hear of the next cannonball III and model years involved. Does anyone know how long it took them to make the announcement of the Cannonball II run for 2012?
    AMCA 17499

47EL

I too am hoping there will be a III. Not to participate but as a spectator. So is there any prize money for the winners/finishers or is the reward simply personal achievemnt?

I'm just finding out about this event so I don't know much about it but it is very intriging. It appears participants with deeper pockets who can afford a fully equipped and staffed support van could have a significant advantage so it'd be good to try and even out the playing field where having more money doesn't give too much of an advantage.
    Jason Z
    AMCA #21594
    Near Pittsburgh PA

Quote Originally Posted by LouieMCman View Post
    How about a ride that ends where it starts? Would be cheaper for the common man, wouldn't have to go coast to coast to coast, saving gas and time. Not everyone has a spare 3-4 weeks and $10,000. I know it wouldn't be a true cannonball like the one's a hundred years ago, but none of them are. Attested by some of those support rigs I saw at this years event. Just some ideas.
    Maybe in recogination of the past winner, twice over. A big X, starting in Michigan crossing to New Mexico up to Montana then crossing to Alabama then back up to Michigan. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Skirted View Post
    It appears participants with deeper pockets who can afford a fully equipped and staffed support van could have a significant advantage so it'd be good to try and even out the playing field where having more money doesn't give too much of an advantage.
    Skirt,

The winner of Cannonball one and two, Brad Wilmarth had a friend (CB I) or nephew (CBII) and a pickup truck with a cap on the back, not even a trailer. Second place finisher myself parried up with another rider and shared expenses. I built , rode and maintained my bike alone, without a pit crew. Jim Denny, like Brad ran a truck with cap, his girlfriend Chris was his support crew , just to mention a few who did not over staff.

The way out of bringing a machine shop and several staff members is to use care in selecting your ride and pay attention to details in preparation.

joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 09-28-2012 at 09:00 PM.

I would love to see it for maybe 40 and down or maybe even a Knuckleheads across america run, then maybe I would be able to attend, thanks, Larry

if anybody would like a specific run, just plan it and promote it. don't sit back and wait for one

National Road Runs occur all season long. Create a challenge for yourself and ride to and from a couple along with the run, you will put on a lot of miles right away! Ask Bruce Lindsay what it is like. One year he rode to every national meet and road run on the same prewar knucklehead! Why do you need an event when you can just create one! Jim Brehio regularly rides across the country on his knuckle, so does Stanley Miller.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736