Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chief Center Stand Operation?

Default Chief Center Stand Operation?

I have just recently crossed over to the Indian side. What is the trick to get the bike up on it's center stand? I have a '46 Chief.

Thanks!

-Mark

Mark, with your kick stand down, lean the bike towards you with all the weight of the bike on the kickstand, and with your foot move the centerstand into place, then place bike back up. You will have to lean over quite a ways where it feels un-natural. If I have anyone else around when I need to do it, I have them lean down and pull centerstand down with their hand. Mark

Like Lonewolf said, the bike pivots on the front tire, and kick stand, and lifts the back of the bike quite a ways off the ground. The first time you do it is nerve wracking, and scarey, but you'll be amazed at how well it works. Don't do it if you have any doubts about your kick stand.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Even a 98 pound weakling can do it!
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Make Plans to Attend the 10th Annual Southern National Meet May, 2019
    Denton FarmPark, Denton, NC

http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/index.htm

Kinda like s@x, if it hurts maybe you're doin' it wrong...

Here is a video of me putting my bike up on the center stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWEjy...4&feature=plcp

This is why I joined AMCA! Since I bought the Chief in '68, I have pulled it up on the center stand just a like a Brit bike. Hmm, maybe that is why I keep tearing the center stand off the poor thing.....
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com

1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Let me add a word of caution. I have seen many of the forward mounted sidestands that have the hook at the top to keep the bike from rolling forward off the stand broken off. It is my opinion (and, of course, it is my own humble opinion) that putting the bike on the center stand is what caused them to break. I would recommend installing the 47 and back peg style side stand just as an aid to getting the bike on the center stand.

Well that sucks ass. I just did this on my 1948 Indin and the damned kickstand broke just before the circular part the bolts the stand leg to the bracket and the bike landed on my right ankle and foot. Then I had no way of standing the bike up so I had to roll it and lean it against the tire of my hotrod. I highly don't recommend this. My ankle is OK but my wallet just got emptied out of $160 for a new /old 1948 Kickstand!!! My ankle is a bit sore but the bike survived. Looks like the stand is cast iron and not forged.

The first time I let someone demonstrate to me how to put my 47 on the center stand by rolling over on the side stand,as in the video ,Battery acid dumped out all over the bike.
    I removed the side and center stand and put on the later 48 front motor mount kick stand.Much better set up.
    Tom