Thread: Button-head grease fittings/adapter

Default Button-head grease fittings/adapter

Anybody know what OTHER machinery the button-head type grease fittings as on Harley VL were used on?
    I think Caterpiller uses the same type but they're 5/8" and 3/4", just a bit too large.
    I have a problem with spending $89 for the adapter and my present zerks are wearing out from swapping them with regular ones to do the lubes....
    OK, not really but it's a pain.

vtwin # 9929-1 colony machine makes just the head adapter http://www.debrix.com/Alemite-Grease.../9929-1-vt.htm

I think that the Alemites were fairly standard in the industry. They were part of the evolution of greasing from the grease cups to current fittings.

Jerry

Default Button-head

Quote Originally Posted by flthead View Post
    vtwin # 9929-1 colony machine makes just the head adapter http://www.debrix.com/Alemite-Grease.../9929-1-vt.htm
    Thanks, Flthead. Still, $68.99+shipping is ridiculous for what it is. Probably not much call for them. Seems like an amateur machinist could make them in the garage and sell them for $30-40. If I had one to copy I'd be tempted to give it a try with my Dremel tool.

Seems like an amateur machinist could make them in the garage and sell them for $30-40.

They do. Call Tommy Faber at fabercycle.com. He's had one on Fleese-Bay for forty clams.

"Ask and ye shall receive!" Thank you sir....
    Sent them an email a minute ago.

No cheap ones on eBay at this time.... but there is one for a Bugatti for $24.50..........
    Louie
    Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Make Plans to Attend the 4th annual Southern National Meet May, 2014
    Denton FarmPark Denton, NC

http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/index.htm

Couldn't you use a needle tip on your grease gun? The type where the needle tip fits in the little hole in the fitting. They use them often on constant velocity type u-joints where there would be clearance problems for regular grease zerks. I paid about six bucks for one about five years ago. I will have to try one on the button head (alemite) type fitting tomorrow when I am in the shop. I think it should work though.

Couldn't you use a needle tip on your grease gun?
    That usually does not work on Alemite fittings. The Alemite was a high pressure fitting and you can usually not depress the ball just by pushing it with the tip of a needle adapter. That is the reason Alemite guns had a claw to hold the end on the nipple. Needle adapters are made for fittings and open holes with no restriction, like BMW swing arm pivots or chainsaw bars!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

RECEIVED my new adapter from fabercycle.com in TWO DAYS! $40 + $4 shipping.

Thanx to all.

Richard