Thread: luggage rack for '56 KHK with dual seat

Default luggage rack for '56 KHK with dual seat

It's time for something different; so, I'm turning my '56 KHK into a sports tourer. By its very nature, it is sporty. All I have to do is slap period correct bags and rack on it so that it can haul enough stuff to be a tourer. Fortunately, I have the bags and mounting bracket. They are rough, but serviceable.

My questions are:
    What does a period correct luggage rack look like for this model with the correct dual seat?
    Where can I acquire such a luggage rack?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL

The factory luggage rack will not fit with the dual seat. I have never seen an aftermarket rack that does. I suspect you will have to fabricate something to fit.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

check the late sixties or seventies sportster. there was one that stuck out the back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15267931@N04/7466899254/

Here is one on a 1969, good luck trying to find one. It is a factory piece. It's the best pic I have hope this helps.
    Last edited by murph; 06-29-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Default '56 KHK luggage rack for dual seat version

I found a Harley parts book showing luggage racks for K/Sportster models. Unfortunately, this website will not let me attach a .pdf file of those items. The stock numbers are 53404-54 (flat steel) and 53405-69 (tube) I have seen the flat steel version, but not the tube type. The tube model seems to be right for the '56 KHK. Now, all I have to do is find one! Any suggestions?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL

coolbreeze,
    There is only one luggage rack for the KH/KHK, and it is the flat steel bolted up type.
    Note the numbers you posted. The last two digits of any H-D part number are the first year it was used, or the year before, when it was designed. Any part with a -69 number did not exist until Ks were just a distant memory!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736