Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beehive tail light

I found the other thread about the bulb height but no answer was given Jerry said he had read something somewhere but it was packed away. Could the bulb position be an early/late thing or is it definitely a Solo/Servicar thing. On another note I see in the picture that Chris posted the light has no gaskets. Is that a early thing or is that one of his prototype photos?

Well the tail light matched up perfect with a tail light from a bike not a servicar...so i am calling it that ...thanks for all your input
    Ron

I believe that the bulb position is a year thing and not servicar/solo bike. If I remember right it is announced in the 1942 Introductory Literature. Jerry

Thanks for the info Jerry. Do you have any info on my gasket question? The picture Chris posted has no gaskets around the lenses. Do you know when the gaskets were used or not used?

Quote Originally Posted by IRONWOOD View Post
    Starting to sound like a hornet's nest...What did Harley Davidson call it?? Besides a tail light.....
    Harley called the 1934-1938 tail lamp The Beehive. The new lamp announced in 1939 was simply called The Streamlined New Tail Light..
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by Erdos View Post
    Thanks for the info Jerry. Do you have any info on my gasket question? The picture Chris posted has no gaskets around the lenses. Do you know when the gaskets were used or not used?
    All 1939-1946 tail lamps use gaskets for the glass but there are two distinctly different types of gaskets. The 1939-1941 gaskets are thin strips of rubber about the thickness of a bicycle tube. They are inserted between the glass and the body.

1942-1946 tail lamps use (as quoted from the 1942 Dealer's announcement bulletin) "a new rubber seal [that] overlaps the outside and inside of the housings for the red and white lenses of the tail light. Entrance of both dust and water is thus prevented."

I realize that this thread is old and that similar threads may have died without addressing the base gasket material question. Started a new thread. Just checking for any updated knowledge.
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

I'd say it's a Caddy Daddy. Cadillac & LaSalle beat Harley-Davidson as far as getting the lens out first. This lens went into production in 1937. Anyway, i always called em'...Boat Marker, as in the 2nd picture.
    1937-1938-Cadillac-LaSalle-CADRAY-Tail-Light-with-_1.jpg >>Cadillac & LaSalle.
    Vintage-Boat-Nautical-Light-Green-Lamp-Marker-Chrome.jpg >>Boat Light Bow Marker.

*M.A.D.*
    Last edited by JoJo357; 06-25-2019 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo357 View Post
    I'd say it's a Caddy Daddy. Cadillac & LaSalle beat Harley-Davidson as far as getting the lens out first. This lens went into production in 1937. Anyway, i always called em'...Boat Marker, as in the 2nd picture.
    1937-1938-Cadillac-LaSalle-CADRAY-Tail-Light-with-_1.jpg
    Very cool. Quintessential Streamline Moderne. I didn't initially notice the third lens in the profile photo, but the LaSalle tail light kind of combines elements similar to those of the H-D sidecar fender lamp and the H-D 39-46 tail light. I don't know what the LaSalle tail light was actually called ("streamlined bullet tail light"?), but it looks like the love child of a stingray and an evil Cylon robot from Battlestar Galactica.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

[End]
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Quote Originally Posted by IRONWOOD View Post
    Starting to sound like a hornet's nest...What did Harley Davidson call it?? Besides a tail light.....
    Any confusion, Ironwood,..

Is Tedd's fault.

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-01-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!