Thread: How to straighten a spring fork?

Default How to straighten a spring fork?

Is there a Service Shot or a procedure to follow?

My fork stem is about a 1/4" out of alignment. The previous owner had apparently just ground the bars to make it fit. It rides well but.........

my frame guy helped a friend to get the fork of his 436 - which he had an accident with - back to live.

He could repair the fork pictured below in a way that it is usable again......you need to be very skilled with tourch and welding repairs to do fork repairs like that.

I can recommand this frame repair shop, but it is in Salzburg, Austria which might be a little too far for most of you. In any case- take a look at his website. He restored some interesting motorcylces:

http://vintage-motoren.at/

Regards,
    gsottl
    Attached Images Attached Images

I take it, that's the "before" photo of the repair, gsotti? That would be a lot heating of straightening to renovate. But someone very skilled, with original specifications to go by, should not have a lot of difficulty. Good example!

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

That picture makes me wanna cry.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Yes, that is before repair

I have not taken pictures of the current condition. Basically it looks like it should and the repair guy said the fork is fully functional still. I can post pictures of the current condition of the bike when I come by at my friendīs place again.

Cheers,
    gsottl

my friend forgot the sidestand and went streight into a rock beside the road in a left side curve.....he had a broke hip and other fractures, but could still smile (see picture below).
    (Thanks to European health care) he now has a titanium hip joit and can ride his bikes again. He started riding with his 28JD sidecar outfit, but now rides his original 1918 Powerplus and soon his Upside-Down Four too!
    Attached Images Attached Images