Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WLDR ball-bearing "cheater" motor information needed!

Quote Originally Posted by kitabel View Post
    The big stepped crankpin (1" tapers, 1-1/4" journal) and big rod set dates to the 1939 WLDR, but AFAIK standard shafts.
    The problem with ball bearing camshafts is that the BB OD is much larger than the std. plain bearing, for which the WR ball-bearing case used a 3/4" (smaller) pinion race than the stock 7/8" WL. I don't know of any way to install BB in a case that already has roller pinion.
    I haven't popped a race out of a case but I am guessing that the steel insert in the case has an i.d. of 1 7/8. With the snap ring in place, it's 3/4" deep. A standard R14 bearing is 3/8 thick and they made a double row baring which is 3/4 thick

This thread is relevant to my current project as I'm looking to convert WL cases away from rollers w/shims, looking at either balls, spherical or timken. Anybody tried this ? prefer to save as much insert material as possible for added strength so looking at using the smaller WL sprocket shaft, information appreciated, thanks, Tim

Much less drag. I air'd up a regular BB and it spun for like 5 seconds total (after the air was removed), then I air'd up a ceramic BB and it spun for like 30 seconds and far more rpms. Less friction, more rpms and ponies

It is, but the actual HP gained is very precious.