Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rikuo Engine Build

Denis,

I'll go through my photos again but I'm afraid I didn't get the write-up in this picture and I've forgotten the year. Not much help eh? It seems to me that it may have been early 40's. If I get there again while this display is on, I will get some more info. Every once in awhile a Rikuo comes up for sale. I've seen a few over the years in Walnecks.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Ok Cory

Let me know if you find out anything.

Take care my Friend!

Mitch and I put the Worwick back in its rack last week. Safe and Still. She's in good hands.
    J.Denis McCarthy Come visit The Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
    www.barbermuseum.org

I'll for sure keep it in the back of my mind Denis. If I don't make it before the display changes, I'll bug somebody else to pay attention if they happen to get there.

It's good to hear the Warwick is safe and sound!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Dennis, & All,

There are two Rikuos lurking hereabouts.

One is a 1957 RQ750 (45ci) with a three speed trans, hand-shift, foot clutch, and total-loss engine lubrication. This is in contrast to your RT with four-speed foot-shift, hand clutch, and re-circulating lubrication. My oil tank is in the left "Fat-bob" whereas the RT incorporates the oil tank (or "bag" in Harley parlance) under the seat. This bike is currently about halfway through a nut/bolt restoration. Hope to have it ready for the Vintage Meet in October, but that ain't likely this year, I fear.

I think most RQs and RTs were originally the soft blue metallic candy color you have painted yours, although an old Rikuo expert - through a friend of mine there - tells me that the dealers or factory would paint the bikes any color a paying customer wanted. That in mind, my RQ is going to be the soft red candy metallic that I found on most of the tin against the bare metal.

The other Rikuo is a blue (old repaint) 1958 VL1300 (80ci). It now has a new top end and is running/riding great. It would not be had I not managed to purchase a great big transmission gear - using the original HD PN as found in the Rikuo parts book - from VL Heaven some years back. I don't know if that was Steve or not, but thanks if so.

As a side note, I bought a spare 750 engine several years ago only to find out a couple days ago that it is an RT engine with the pump on the bottom, and is actually quite a bit different from an RQ lump. Cam cover and pump, etc., are obviously different, but even the heads and jugs are slightly changed from the RQ. I have a broken fin on one of the RQ's cast cylinders and had hoped to use the one from the spare motor. Argh. It's always some damn'd thang.

Rikuo RQ750 08.02.10 - 01.jpg
    Rikuo VLE 10.01.03.jpg
    ~Troyce

Fortunately, this engine toured with the Deeley collection. Saw it in Tampa several years ago. Then I was mostly interested in Honda 250/305 dry-sumps, one of which Deeley has a fine example in original-paint pale red metallic.

C76 - Trev Deeley Logo.jpg

C76 Port Trev Deeley Tampa.jpg
    ~Troyce

Hi Dennis; A Rikuo engine was sold at our antique MC meet here in southern ontario(paris) in june.The VIN was Rxxxx.It sold for acouple of hundred bucks.Wish i took some photos........John

Quote Originally Posted by c.o. View Post
    You are doing a really nice job Denis! Not to sidetrack your thread (too much anyway), here's a shot of a Rikuo engine that I saw at the Deeley Museum in Vancouver, B.C. last spring.

Turns out this engine is a Kurogane. It reads from right to left クロガネ.
    There is some connection between Kurogane and Rikuo, but I think is mostly that both built machines for the IJA.
    ~Troyce

You're doing a great job! I look forward to seeing more of it. I doubt this is the same as yours, but... don't forget the Rikuo that was on the "I Love Lucy" show that Fred and Ethel was going to ride from CA to NY.

Have FUN!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Ya know, I have for a couple of years now thought that bike (Lucy Show) was a Rikuo Type 97 myself. A closer inspection of the cams cover in the large poster of that scene I have on the shop wall, though, causes me to think it's a Kurigane as well.

The IJA might have used "Type 97" as a spec number for certain military vehicle categories, as I've seen references to a Nissan Type 97 as well.
    ~Troyce

Haven't seen much action on this post since I joined so I thought I'd bump this up with two photos I took of a Rikuo 750 at the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, IA yesterday.

Good luck on the restoration. I hope to see more pics of it.