Thread: 26 JD trans spacer

Default 26 JD trans spacer

Is there a spacer between the sprocket nut and the clutch hub. I'm try'in to help a friend out and I'm not sure but it seems that there should be one.

Yes. It is a large diameter washer/spacer. It is used to set up the clutch housing end play. It is about the diameter of the thrust surface on the back of the clutch housing and is a close fit on the main shaft.

What should the End Play be on the Clutch Basket? Thanks.

Harley looks for about 0.005" end play on the clutch basket. This is set by using varying thicknesses of the 2500-19 hardened thrust washer that goes under the clutch roller bearing. In practice I reckon it's less critical. In particular, too thick a washer binds up the clutch. Gearbox mainshaft end float is set separately by screwing in the ball bearing holder on the kicker side of the gearbox. Again 0.005" seems a good number, and I start by tightening the ball bearing holder until the box locks up, then taking it out about one third turn to get it free running. The spacer collar 2239-25 you asked about earlier goes under the countershaft sprocket and around the stub shaft of the main drive gear.

Thanks I'll let my friend know.

told my friend that and he would like to know where he can get the right parts to make the 1926 go

where can I find these parts you can let me know my friend won't use the the www

Dear 58pan, your friend is going to struggle in the 21st century if he won't use the Internet but let's try to help him out. I prefer to do business separately from technical discussions on this bulletin board, and my contact details are in the Club magazine. I have all the parts mentioned so far. Best regards.