Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pony Riveting Tool

Default Pony Riveting Tool

Does anyone have experience using these old Pony riveting tools? Appears there are 2 models, a model 17 and a model 27. Does anyone know the difference between the two, what type of rivet each model is used for? I am wondering if they would work for riveting brake linings to brake bands for the JD rear brake.

s-l1600.jpg

Leather tool.
    AMCA #765

had one on the farm, still have it somewhere. Grampa called it a Harness riveter. It did use tubular rivets but did not work well on regular brake shoes. It may work OK for woven linings on the JD, not sure. That said, I would prefer a simple hand riveter or a foot powered brake riveter. I always thought it to be sort of hard to control.

What is your experience with either of these tools? Or, what have you found that works well for riveting brake lining? Make your own?

s-l1600.jpgs-l500.jpg

I have one like the green one in your picture and have riveted with good results.[ATTACH=CONFIG]21855
    Attached Images Attached Images

I purchased the green one from J C Whitney 50 years ago. Still have it, still use it. I do, however need to be careful with alignment or risk breaking off a corner of the lining.

I like having both hands free, Folks!

This foot-operated riveter came with different adjustable anvils, and one if its 'rams' splits the rivets into stars.

(Pic shows it set up as an OHV valve compressor. Note jeweler's riveter hanging on top.)

It had a contraption that clamped to the stand beneath it with a centerdrill for rivet removal.
    Its stashed pretty deep.

....Cotten
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-22-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Quote Originally Posted by T. Cotten View Post
    I like having both hands free, Folks!

This foot-operated riveter came with different adjustable anvils, and one if its 'rams' splits the rivets into stars.

(Pic shows it set up as an OHV valve compressor. Note jeweler's riveter hanging on top.)

It had a contraption that clamped to the stand beneath it with a centerdrill for rivet removal.
    Its stashed pretty deep.

....Cotten
    Thanks guys, and that's a beauty Tom!

The foot operated riveter is from Chicago Rivet & Machine. They are still in business and you can still get parts and accessories for you machine.
    Craig