Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1904 marsh

Default 1904 Marsh

Marsh1915hd: Here are 2 pictures of an unknown make of engine I have. I posted pictures a year ago but was not successful in finding out what it is. After looking at the Marsh pictures you posted I see that the carb on my engine looks identical to the ones on the Marsh. The bosses on the crankcase to accept the cylinder studs look like the one on my crankcase. Mine only has 3 studs though. My crankcases are cast iron. The carb is also cast iron. Is the one on your engine iron or aluminum? Could my engine possibly be a very early Marsh? Tommystery engine 001.jpgmystery engine 002.jpg

It's very early but I don't think it's a Marsh. I see no way to mount it? But the top bolt. May be a bicycle motor, from 1800's. The carb looks very close. Metz lived down the road from the Marsh brothers and made there carbs. This looks like one of his carb.

Ask Jon Szalay.

There are 3 holes on the bottom of the crankcase. I presume that was for the bottom mount. I will send pictures to Jon. Tom

Also the engine pully takes a 1" wide belt which is probably bigger than what would be used for a bicycle. Tom

I hope Jon has an answer for you Tom. That engine has been a tough one!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Been a few years, Still working on my MARSH, still looking for parts.IMG_5727.jpg

Terry, I know in pre-Columbian pottery restoration, they will make repairs, and replace missing pieces with an obviously different color of clay, or composite that can be removed without messing with the genuine material. I have to believe you are in that territory as there can't be very many spare parts around for a 1904 Marsh. I know you are a very talented guy and wouldn't have any trouble making the missing pieces. . . Is that something you might do, to make a representative example of a true pioneer motorcycle?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886