Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 36 four oil filter help

Joe: The Fram number of the filter I use is PH3387A. It was used on many GM models with V6 and V8 engines from the early 80's to mid 90's and possibly right to the present. It does not have a built in bypass. I put a bypass circuit in the filter head I made. I believe the Chrysler filter of similar size has a bypass arrangement built in. Tom AMCA#381

Quote Originally Posted by PRG View Post
    Howdy Chaps,

There was a discussion on this topic at caimag awhile back, for those not having seen it or familiar with these kits, here's a brief photo overview. The first gen of this type had simple copper tubing portruding through the timing cover (photo 3) which required a bit of a larger radius bend for the hoses to the filter to keep them from collapsing. I made copper lines to rectify this. But, the big drawback was one could not remove their timing cover with the motor in the frame. Photo 4 shows the side view. Once the filter was mounted it could be swung up out of the way right up against the cases. Photo 2 shows the revised timing cover fitting arrangement on gen II kits, not only with more secure mountings to the cover but using right angle fittings (photo 1) for a tidier hose routing shown in photo 5.

These kits came with a very small filter (100 series in a Mobil 1). Any accumulation of carbon in the oil leads to restriction and they start to whine. I'd suggest upgrading to the longer 110 as fitted to late model Mazda RX-7's.
    Hello Peter:- Where did you get that filter assembly, Mazda RX-7 parts dealership? Looks like a logo on it, Ellatt or what brand? Any numbers for it so we could possibly aquire one of them critters? Thanks...Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435

Howdy Joe,

That's Jeff Hiatt's logo engraved on the assembly along with in/out labels for the hoses, this kit which from above posts I gather may now be available from Robbie(?). I'll wrestle my 441 out and take some better pics of it mounted as it is a very sanitary setup.

When changing that Amsoil filter after fitment, I went to what's worked well with my 440 which is the Mobil 1 filter sourced from Autozone for which the RX 7 is just one application. When Googling the 100 series, I found out about the slightly longer 110 on the Rx-7 forum, thus the reference made to that.

I remember a Swiss 4our owner utilizing a completely hidden, full flow filter on his 4ours. Peter R. used a modern Japanese bike cartridge inside the engine, accesable via the front timing cover. There was NO external evidence of his conversion what so ever, yet it offered complete, full flow filtration.
    I've serviced my timing gears (I have adjustable spindles on my gears for timing), and it really isn't that big a deal to access the inside via the tin cover.
    Just a thought, RF.

Quote Originally Posted by PRG View Post
    Howdy Joe,

That's Jeff Hiatt's logo engraved on the assembly along with in/out labels for the hoses, this kit which from above posts I gather may now be available from Robbie(?). I'll wrestle my 441 out and take some better pics of it mounted as it is a very sanitary setup.

When changing that Amsoil filter after fitment, I went to what's worked well with my 440 which is the Mobil 1 filter sourced from Autozone for which the RX 7 is just one application. When Googling the 100 series, I found out about the slightly longer 110 on the Rx-7 forum, thus the reference made to that.
    Thanks Peter. I should have figured that one, but some logos are pretty hard to savy. Hiatt of course. I messaged Robbie last summer and he has not at that time set up to do filters. hopefully in the near future but its tough to invest in something like that if sales dont exheed losses. Pics and details of your set up would be very apreciated. Saveing all the info I can find in a file, for the day I tear into the remote filter installation. My engine almost self destructed with aluminum debris when I blew a piston last summer. I had/have Michael Breedings magnetic drain plugs everywhere as well as a large mechanics magnet in the filter screen, useless for picking up aluminum tho. Just cant win...........Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435

Howdy chaps,

TheRedFredster! Nothing liking tantalizing us with no pics...shall we ever see some of this holy grail setup? It's the external oil filter thing alone that stands between me and saying this 441 could ever be AMCA judged (with a straight face) when my descendants go to sell it. I'm trying to envision where it'd go, maybe to the right side of the timing gears at the case seam level and with the housing set back inside of the motor with the head of the filter nearly abutting the inside of the cover? From a packaging standpoint, I'll mention that the first Hiatts in an effort to be discreet used a NASCAR fuel filter. Like a blue anodized cigar, these utilized a tubular stainless screen that varied in the size of the perforated holes according to the degree of filtration desired. No, you won't have the degree of filtration of an oil filter but it would save your motor from metal crumbs. The drawback? No bypass. And as a well worn rich running Four can produce alot of sludge, these filters required a little too close monitoring for most owners.

Joe, I imagine you might have been running some heavy single weight oil at the time? Like the Palmolive commercial of our youths wherein the pearl sank slowly to the bottom to demonstrate the thickness of their product, when I switched from heavy singles to 20-50 far less tranny effluence made it forward to the sump pickup....which understandably doesn't correlate to loosing a aluminum piston where all it has to do is drop straight down and those particles settling much more slowly.

Peter:- I am running 15-50 Amsoil Raceing with high ZDDP content. That oil was researched a coupla years back and that Amsoil was chosen after all the discussions on these forums. I suspect a porouse casting since the other three pistons come out in perfect condition and are now back in the engine and running. Clearance on the skirts is .006" and no scuffed piston skirts present. Aprox 3000 miles on the engine and I could not find evidence of any lean conditions. All I can do now is run it further and inspect the piston tops once in a while, like every 500 miles or so. I have pics of the failed piston if you want to see them......Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435