Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 36 four oil filter help

Default 36 four oil filter help

Hi all,

Any sources for an oil filter kit that does not entail drilling the crank cases? I seem to remember some one did a kit that used the timing cover

best wishes
    Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

Check with T-Bone on this or caimag.com forum. He is presently doing a 36 with the oil filter set-up you are speaking of. If all else fails pm me and I'll send his number. Call 9-5pm US central time Mon-Fri.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

I made an oil filter assembly for my 440 in 1978 with the oil lines coming out the timing cover because I could not bring myself to drilling the cases. I remember Dick Davies taking pictures and measurements of it. He later came out with a kit. I don't know if his kits are still available. Tom Wilcock AMCA #381

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

I also have Dick's son Roy's phone if you need it.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Howdy Tim,

Pan details of the type you speak of depicted below. This is the final version once made by Jeff Hiatt which had right angle fittings on the timing cover for easier routing of the filter hoses to the side. Mark Hill bought out all of his equipment and may still sell these kits.

You see more shots of its install on my 441 here.

Default fiter kit

I think I still one kit ready to use. You can email me at retiredsfcroy@yahoo.com

What a great club, thanks guys for all your help
    Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

Howdy Chaps,

There was a discussion on this topic at caimag awhile back, for those not having seen it or familiar with these kits, here's a brief photo overview. The first gen of this type had simple copper tubing portruding through the timing cover (photo 3) which required a bit of a larger radius bend for the hoses to the filter to keep them from collapsing. I made copper lines to rectify this. But, the big drawback was one could not remove their timing cover with the motor in the frame. Photo 4 shows the side view. Once the filter was mounted it could be swung up out of the way right up against the cases. Photo 2 shows the revised timing cover fitting arrangement on gen II kits, not only with more secure mountings to the cover but using right angle fittings (photo 1) for a tidier hose routing shown in photo 5.

These kits came with a very small filter (100 series in a Mobil 1). Any accumulation of carbon in the oil leads to restriction and they start to whine. I'd suggest upgrading to the longer 110 as fitted to late model Mazda RX-7's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PRG; 12-14-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Default 36 four oil filter help

At last I found the picture of the internal plumbing for the oil filter I installed on my 440. The timing cover can be removed without disturbing it. I made the filter head to accept a small GM spin on oil filter. The assembly is attached to the center 4 top screws for the timing cover and when installed it clears the bottom frame cross tube by 3/4 inch, just enough to spin off the filter without disturbing anything. Tom Wilcock #381ScannedImage-2.jpg

I am also interested in fitting a remote oil filter to my 29 Four. I understand R Robinson ended up with Jeff Hiatts filter produceing equiptment but as of yet, is not makeing any. I wonder if Tom could look up the part number of the GM filter or what engine GM used it on, year and model to help the parts guy look it up....Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435