Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1925 JD Cannonball Bike

Looking good Jerry! I can't wait to see the finished product. Bob
    Bob McDonnell AMCA #5480

Default brake anchor bracket

Hi Jerry,

Are you willing to build brake anchor bracket for other riders?
    I have a 27 JD and will be installing a front brake on it but need a anchor bracket.
    If you are willing what will my cost be?

Thanks
    Mark Wiebens
    Rider 61

Mark I got some pictures today of an OEM brake bracket on a friend's 1928. I will have to see if I can reproduce it or not. I was originally going to cut an anchor off a later knucklehead leg that I have lying around. Will let you know in the next couple of days.

Bob Thanks for the the encouragement.

Jerry

This weekend I got a bunch of small stuff done. The one major thing I accomplished was to get the steering dampner all fabricated. Digging thru my 36 and up dampner stuff I found some suitable to be modified parts and the next few photos should show what I did to mount it.

One of my goals when I started this project was to get a reliable ride out of it without modifying any stock parts and on these series of photos I did but they already had been messed with to some degree. I feel only a little guilty.

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 05-06-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Spent some time fitting the wheel to the front end. Here it is loosely fit into the front fork.

I found out the hard way that a 1935 - 40 WL front hub is 5/8" wider than a 1928/29 JD hub and subsequently I had to figure a way around that. I had to loosen up the right rocker to even get the stock OEM wheel in place. I ended up shortening the WL inner wheel sleeve and nut .220".

That said another problem was created. Now the right side front rocker stud interferes with the edge of the WL hub.

I think I can get around the interference by shortening up the nut and rocker stud but time will tell for sure. The wheel pictured is not going to be the wheel I am using. That currently is disassembled and getting painted and then I will mock up the brake and hub and figure out the offset if any that the wheel will need to run in the center.

It is also going to be a tough fit on the brake anchor arm on the other side. I might not be able to use an OEM type brake anchor.

I also got the axle made that I will be using. It is 15/32" except on the threads where it is 7/16".

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 05-08-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Today my special tap (5/8" x 14tpi) arrived so I was able to make the rest of my steering dampner conversion. Here is the stock stem.

I made a threaded insert that accepts a WL type thread. and pressed it in to the stem. I then proceeded to tig weld it in to the top of the neck.

I dressed to off clean with a fine grit sander and should be ready to make the rod next.

Jerry

I have been working on a variety of things the last few day. I finally got enough good gears to fill the transmission. It took me 5 JD/VL gearboxes to get it done however. Sadly the last transmission I bought which was a 1925 transmission I bought at Fremont Nebraska was by far the best one and probably would have been all I needed if only I had bought it first.

Here is a picture of 3 main drive gears. The 2 on the left are out of 1925 JD transmissions and the one on the right is out of a 1931 VL tranny. What gives with the difference in the inner bearing race?

Jerry

Jerry
    If you're talking about the one on the left, that's just the sprocket spacer and you will need to use it regardless of which gear you end up using. If you mean the bushing on the inside of the gear on the right, that was a change introduced in 1931 (along with a new mainshaft) It is the same bushing used on knucklehead main drive gears except for the length, which you can easily cut down. I would use the later setup since the new style mainshaft doesn't use the split bushing. If one of your earlier gears is in better shape, you can hard bore the earlier gear with ceramic inserts to accept the bushing.
    What do your slider and cluster gears look like?
    Mark Masa

Great thread Jerry.Sorting thru the changes can be fun![IMG][/IMG]

Mark After I cleaned up the gear I see that the hi gear outer race and spacer are one unit and might have been homemade - just assumed that maybe HD did it. I am somewhat familiar with the hi gear inner race and mainshaft.

Is there any downside to running the early split bushing that is soldered to the mainshaft?

Jerry