Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 22JD Tear down!

I think Brewster Green with gold striping is one of the most attractive color applications ever used on a Harley Davidson. At least a million times prettier than Olive Drab. I'll never understand why H-D commited themselves to that nauseating color for so many years.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Robert,
    As far as the generator drive gear removal goes it is in my opinion essential to use a puller to remove it. I've made up a L.H. thread cap nut that I put onto the generator shaft thread so I don't damage it pulling the gear off and yes I've damaged a couple prior to making the nut.
    In NZ you'll find numerous inner timing cases with the backs badly damaged in behind that gear and this damage is a result of people using levers to try and pry the gear off. My advice for what it's worth is use a puller and go real easy on the generator armature.
    The other LH thread you'll encounter is the screw holding the half-time pinion onto the mainshaft. Once again I've made an impact tool that fits the screw head perfectly and use this in an impact screwdriver. One good hit and generally without fail it comes undone.
    While talking about the half time pinion it's worth remembering that this gear is exactly the same as the one on the timed breather. Generally the timed breather one is in mint condition and the half time one shows tooth wear as it has to drive the whole gear train. Press the one off the timed breather and swap it with the worn one and you now have a mint half time pinion.
    Unless there is a good reason to remove the inlet manifold nipples from the cylinders leave them in there and nickle plate the whole assembly. Once removed you have the problem that Cotton always talks about, manifold leaks, and if left in it is generally one less joint to worry about. If you are at all worried pressure test them and if they leak then you can take them out.
    When you remove the inner timing case make sure you lift/pull straight back towards you and don't try and rotate it at all. It is not the locating dowels that cause the trouble, it's the cam followers pivot shaft that is supported in the timing case and once the timing case is clear of the locating dowels the tendency is to try and twist the case off before it is clear of the cam followers pivot and break part of the inner case out. Use plenty of lube and pull straight off, no twisting.
    The nut holding the drive sprocket onto the mainshaft is RH thread.
    Good luck with your rebuild.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

One other thing, don't lose the washer that goes over the end of the shaft that the idler gear rotates on. It's a special washer with an internal relief on one side. It goes over the circlip that holds the idler gear on and bears on the face of the idler gear.
    It's purpose is to stop the sideways movement of the idler gear and to stop that movement popping the circlip off.
    Noisy timing gears is generally a good sign that this washer has been left off.
    As with most of Harleys stuff it is extremely hard.
    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Here's some pictures of genuine Harley-Davidson tools for working on pocket-valve Harleys.
    Left to Right.
    Generator gear puller.
    Half-time pinion gear puller
    Magneto gear puller.
    Tee handle lap for lapping inlet cages onto their seats
    and lying below is the spanner for un-doing the nuts that hold the inlet towers and cages into the pocket.
    The leg at the other end is the tool to undo the crankcase stud nuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Thanks for thinking of me Peter. I can tell you already that the washer on the idler gear wasn't there. I was meticulous of the way I took this thing apart and every part was tagged and bagged. The lower end is next week.

I've got a little stash of NOS ones of those washers so let me know your address and I'll post one to you.

People other than Robert this does not mean a free for all on these washers so please don't ask.
    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Thanks Peter, I am very appreciative of your generous offer and utmost kind gesture. I will wait till i'm at that point and then contact you should I need it - Thanks so much for that courtesy. My brother-in-law lives in Oamaru, is that any where near you? (he is not a motor head at all, he's a sheep head. !!) Thanks again, Bob L
    Last edited by Robert Luland; 08-13-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Robert
    I'm about as far south in the North Island as he is south in the South Island and that bit of water between the two islands is very expensive to cross. I'd guess about 450 miles apart
    We've got what is being forecast as one of the worst southerly storms for many years hitting his area right now and it is expected to travel up the country over the next few days. They're talking snow to sea level in many places. I hope he's got shelter for his ewes and lambs because it looks as if it could be real bad if the weather forecasters are to be believed.
    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Gotta love those fun and simple J motors.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Buzz, I really can’t say this has been simple do to the fact that I have no clue of what I’m doing. Every time I touch that motor I’m walking on egg shells. Sometimes I just stand there staring at it for an hour planning my next safe stage of attack but it has been fun. The up side is I get to play with tools, other toys and 90 year old dinosaur poop. Bob L