Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Safest Fuel for Indian Fours.

I have parts coming to repair this lame four but some I cant find so far. who makes the gaskets for the early fours in my year model 1929, it has the smaller exhaust manifold flange, (1.75" bolt space) and I need a set of 4 manifold gaskets for that. Also looking for pinion shims and the ball thrust large and small misc shims. need to reshim it a bit, reduce crank and bevel gear backlash. Any info on a source would help me a lot and be much apreciated...Thank you all in advance....Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435

I'm not sure if high gear is 1:1 but I calculated my J model by measuring the tire circumference in feet then dividing that by feet per second at a given speed (that tells you the tire RPM) then dividing that by the final drive ratio if that makes sense.
    MPH Feet Per Min
    100 8800
    90 7920
    80 7040
    70 6160
    60 5280
    50 4400
    40 3520
    30 2640
    20 1760
    Steve

Joe, I would also look for sources of ethanol free fuel. Unfortunately, California has few places. Look up ethanol free fuel on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdds View Post
    Joe, I would also look for sources of ethanol free fuel. Unfortunately, California has few places. Look up ethanol free fuel on the net.
    Here's one:
    http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

I also wonder if marinas are a good place to find ethanol free gas, given how much trouble ethanol gives to boat engines.
    Pisten Bulley is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Joe, just scratch your head a little, and think this through. It's pretty simple.
    60 mph equals a mile a minute, or 5280 feet per minute. 5280 feet divided by tire circumference gives you rear wheel rpm (revolutions per minute).
    Now divide # of teeth on rear wheel by # of teeth on tranny output (should be around 1.9 or so) and multiply times wheel rpm to get tranny output rpm at 60 mph.
    Now get the ratio of the ring and pinion by dividing the # of teeth on the ring gear by the # of teeth on the pinion gear and multiply that ratio times the tranny output rpm. That final result will be your engine rpm at 60 mph. .. To get your rpm at 45 mph multiply your 60mph result times (45/60 = .75)
    Rpm at 75 (75/60) =1.25 x your 60mph result.
    use a calculator, please .. can do long hand with a little rounding, but....

Thanks
    phill, and Indian Tomfiii, been thinkin of do the calc like you suggest. I will get the final ration out of the crown and pinion then go from there like you suggest. I can submit my figures here if you like and you pitch in, again, thanks for your formula...Circumference for the wheel is dia X 3.314 isnt it?....Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435

OK here are the numbers.

-road speed; at 60 MPH
    -motor; 17 tooth bevel gear
    -trans input; 28 tooth crown gear
    -trans output; 18 tooth sprocket
    -rear whl sprocket; 40 teeth
    -R/Whl: 4.00 X 18 Tire O/Dia is 26 inch.

I get 2839 RPM at 60 MPH. Please check and correct me if wrong, however my figure apears quite civil.

From the calculator Tomfiii submitted, I get 2839 RPM at 60 MPH
    Joe AMCA# 3435

That what I got too.
    Steve

Thanks Steve. I guese the RPM is not too bad but a four sounds like its overspeeding when on the highway. One more gear to settle it down would be good for just cruising level and easy on the motor it seems to me. However, that RPM at 2900 seems prety well normal for those bikes I supose. thanks..Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435