Thread: Safest Fuel for Indian Fours.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Safest Fuel for Indian Fours.

Has anyone have a prefference on fuel grade for these old Indian Fours, 89 Octane or should a lower Octane be more suitable to prevent overheat? It seems the higher the Octane, the slower the burn. Just tryibg to run the engine in the coolest conditions. Ant preferences anyone?...Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435

S.E.N.Y. State American side of Hudson River

I usually use mid-grade 89. I try to ride something else if it is over 75-80 degrees out
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

I run low grade regular for 13 years now in my Henderson, seem's good. Never could tell a difference if I payed more for premium, it runs fine with either/ about the same temps too I believe, good luck with yours.

Thanks guys, Just askin, burnt a big hole in #4 piston, carb possibly went lean the last ten or twenty miles, No manifold leaks found. Its a 29 Four, troubleshooting cause is all..last fill up was 89 Octane, shoulda maybe stayed with regular fuel possibly.......Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435

Joe!!! Sorry to hear about your '29. Here's hoping you have it back on the road soon. The weather is just getting good!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Well Cory, you know what they say, "want some grief, buy a Chief, want more? Get a Four". She blew her guts on the freeway in four lanes of traffic, could not pull over and I think all those cars in the mirror wanted to run over me when the bike lost speed and slowed er down a bit on three cylinders. It blew out the dipstick due to combustion in the crankcase, raw fuel from number 4 cylinder lighting up downstairs below. About four explosions and lost about 1/2 my oil before I got er stopped. To think, it ran so sweet, no warning sign. The engine is apart on the bench and there is still oil dripping off the chasis. Its well splattered with oil. I have a piston coming in the mail and some other tid bits.....sucks, disapointing but ya gotta go on...Joe
    Joe AMCA# 3435