Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1930-1936 v vl manuals

Default 1930-1936 v vl manuals

Where can i find a shop manual to rebuild v and vl motors? I see harley has reprints of old books are these worth it does anyone make a good manual?

Best one made is from VL Heaven in England. AMCA Senior Judge Steve Slocombe has endeavoured (English spelling there, eh?) to fill the gap with the manual that Harley never wrote: $50, airmail postage paid from England, last I checked. http://www.vlheaven.com/

i have that i meant a shop type manual for rebuilds.diagrams procedures things like that.

Hi Todd and my VL Restoration Book is all there is for this model. It does not repeat well known workshop techniques, but has procedures for most components specific to the VL. I've tried to make exploded diagrams for key assemblies, which were not available originally. If there is information you need which is not in the book, please contact me through www.vlheaven.com.

To my knowledge H-D never had a shop manual for the VL's. Riders Handbook and Shop Dopes is all there was. Parts and accessory catalogs were printed. Use Steve's book and live happily ever after. All you need for rebuild is the clearances and prior H-D knowledge.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

You can find reproductions of VL years parts and accessory catalogs at:

http://www.replicantmetals.com/library.html

Along with other parts for the early Harley's.

The information you want is not out there. Steve's book is a bit of help but not technical enough for a gear head, machinist. Someone is making tools (for auction). We are making our own tools starting with the clutch and transmission. We will document everything you need to know in time but that won't help you know.

Dear John, I think all the known clearances are in my VL book, and I've guessed at some of the others. The Harley Shop Dope reprints contain several specifications of engine clearances and valve/ignition timing. Many VL tools have been re-made. The valve cover wrenches, tappet puller, pinion gear puller and wheel hub wrench are available from myself or Vintage Motorcycles Nothwest. I've made the gearbox X-tool and laser cut a less expensive version of the 2" manifold wrench, while Mark Masa has made a fine VL clutch puller which saves distorting the clutch drum with a three-leg puller. There are even plans to make the frame table with a big laser cutter, and that's serious. The VL clutch assembly jig is a possible needed item, but expensive if you don't use it often.

Your best bet is J.B. Nicholson's book Modern Motorcycle Mechanics but you will need to ensure you get a first or second edition because by the third edition a lot of the early info has dropped out in favour of the later stuff.
    First editions will be hard to find but second editions shouldn't be too hard as there were at least two reprints of that volume.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

You nailed it Tommo. "Modern Motorcycle Mechanics" has proven to have info that in a lot of cases, can't be found elsewhere.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953