Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harley-Davidson Winged "Bar & Shield"

Default Harley-Davidson Winged "Bar & Shield"

What is the history behind the wings and the Harley-Davidson "Bar & Shield" logo? Are the wings part of the current official Harley-Davidson logo? Was the "Bar & Shield" introduced in 1911? Just curious....
    Last edited by talbot-2; 01-27-2011 at 05:20 PM.

1911 is most likely right. The 11768-30 Bar and Shield pin has wings on it. It appeared on the horn in 1936.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

I put this page up somewhere on a previous post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Allen Girdler, in The Harley and Indian Wars credits a Davidson sister, ("Lucy?" I think?) with drawing up the original Bar & Shield trademark in the earliest years of the company.

I was under the impression that the bar and shield originated in 1910.
    Ross

O.K. there was a winged hour glass in 1909 and I'm sure I've seen a bar and shield for 1910. I'll do some digging to see if I can find early evidence of the wings with the bar and shield. Now I'm wondering.... Herb where are ya?
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

It actually is shown in the 1910 sales brochure. It is not shown in the 1909 or 1908 brochure. However the 1908 Sales brochure proclaims, "FIFTH YEAR 1908" I guess ole Lacy was doing his thing.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

I was under the impression that the bar and shield originated in 1910.
    Regardless of when the "Bar and Shield" originated the question was about the addition of wings which appears to have occurred in the '30s. I suspect it had to do with various factors, the popularity of wings as an expression of speed, Nationalism, air superiority, etc. The National recovery Act of 1933 adopted the Eagle, along with many other businesses at the time. The actual eagle with the bar and shield appeared as a fender emblem at the same time as the NRA connection. (H-D used the NRA logo on letterheads of the time). After that it disappeared for many years to be re-born with the AMF influence. Now most modern Harley riders think it was always there. (Of course they believe all the other spin the MOCO puts out!). The winged pins which mimicked flying wings continued all along with many variations.
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Quote Originally Posted by talbot-2 View Post
    Was the "Bar & Shield" introduced in 1911? Just curious....
    Yes, the Bar & Shield first appeared on the RH side of the toolbox in 1911. The Oak Leaf was on the left side. I can't find one orig photo of a 1910 and earlier with the Bar/shield, nor have I seen that on the orig paint bikes that I have photos of.

Hmmm.... It looks like Tommo's post explains it! The only question I have.... is it just a new wing style or is it completely new for 1930? I'm going to guess just completely new....

Not to hijack this thread to badly but Robbie that's a great collection you have there. I circled on in red.... can you tell me what vintage it is? I've got one like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by c.o.; 01-28-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: photo hoster not working.
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953