Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: early sidecar

Chuck! I'm in complete agreement on that zany kid picture. Winter is definitely rearing it's ugly head. As for the rap music I think we can safely say those kids in the pic are rap free.... thank goodness!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

This one just showed up on eBay.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    This one just showed up on eBay.
    1914 HD w/ Rogers hack. You can see the two-speed shifter on the top of the tank.

1EZRIDER here's that Rogers you were looking for.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Does anyone have access to the photos that Clydeflathead posted on this thread? The links no longer work and I believe I heard that the gentleman has passed. I now have the sidecar that is the subject of this thread, if anyone saved or has access to the photos I would really appreciate seeing them.

Thanks,
    Kevin

C.O.
    I am not going to comment on your Indian as there already is a lot of Indian knowledge out there. But it does raise some interesting questions.
    I am not going to comment on you sidecar tub as there already is a lot of knowledge out there.
    Now on your sidecar frame, that is another matter. We are assuming that your sidecar frame is a Rogers because of the ball clamp mounting method. Your Rogers sidecar frame is for a rigid motorcycle frame. Per the Rogerís Parts List No.4 (effective Sept. 1st , 1916), Rogers made a Special Frame No 6200 for the swingarm Indians. The Roger Parts List No. 4 shows illustration of their Model H sidecar frames, which does not look like your frame. The Model E Chassis (1912-1914) does not look like you frame. They also list a Model S, L (Van), R Chassis, but shows no illustration of them. The Model R Chassis for R.F.D. outfits have a special extension axle.
    Your frame has the extension axle. Per the Rogerís Supplement No. 1 to Part List No. 4, Rodger listed the Model M and M-U Chassis listed an M-1 which appears to be for non ridged frame motorcycles. Supplement No. 1 has illustrations of the Rodger new design chassis Model M, M-1, and M-U, none of which match your frame. It also list tailor make frames with extension shafts for eight of the major motorcycle manufactures, but does not have illustrations of them.
    Per the Rogerís Parts List No. 6 (Effective June 1st 1920), Rogers list a separate front and rear springs, which you do have. Stated in the Rogerís Parts List No. 6, the 1918 and earlier frames use one piece leaf spring with two leaf throughout that are 1 Ĺ wide or if 1 ľ wide, an extra leaf was added to the rear curl, which yours frame has separate front and rear springs.
    The Rogerís Parts List No. 6 show an illustration of the Rogerís Aristocrat sidecar setup, but that frame is different than yours. The catalog does not show the standard Rogerís sidecar frame offered in that time period.
    The bracing up to the upper mounting, normal located under the seat, is the method used on the 1912-1914 Model E layouts, the H and later layouts were mounted on the rear frame/axle tubing, using a different type of tube clamp.
    I am sorry that I was not able to pin down the year of your Roger sidecar frame based on the information I have. I was only able to eliminate some Models and some years. Hopefully some of this was helpfully to you.
    Spacke2speed

Quote Originally Posted by Shaky Jake View Post
    Does anyone have access to the photos that Clydeflathead posted on this thread? The links no longer work and I believe I heard that the gentleman has passed. I now have the sidecar that is the subject of this thread, if anyone saved or has access to the photos I would really appreciate seeing them.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin,

I dug around the computer and found this one. It's of later vintage but was one of the images posted by Clydeflathead.

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Quote Originally Posted by Spacke2speed View Post
    C.O.
    I am not going to comment on your Indian as there already is a lot of Indian knowledge out there. But it does raise some interesting questions.
    I am not going to comment on you sidecar tub as there already is a lot of knowledge out there.
    Now on your sidecar frame, that is another matter. We are assuming that your sidecar frame is a Rogers because of the ball clamp mounting method. Your Rogers sidecar frame is for a rigid motorcycle frame. Per the Roger’s Parts List No.4 (effective Sept. 1st , 1916), Rogers made a Special Frame No 6200 for the swingarm Indians. The Roger Parts List No. 4 shows illustration of their Model H sidecar frames, which does not look like your frame. The Model E Chassis (1912-1914) does not look like you frame. They also list a Model S, L (Van), R Chassis, but shows no illustration of them. The Model R Chassis for R.F.D. outfits have a special extension axle.
    Your frame has the extension axle. Per the Roger’s Supplement No. 1 to Part List No. 4, Rodger listed the Model M and M-U Chassis listed an M-1 which appears to be for non ridged frame motorcycles. Supplement No. 1 has illustrations of the Rodger new design chassis Model M, M-1, and M-U, none of which match your frame. It also list tailor make frames with extension shafts for eight of the major motorcycle manufactures, but does not have illustrations of them.
    Per the Roger’s Parts List No. 6 (Effective June 1st 1920), Rogers list a separate front and rear springs, which you do have. Stated in the Roger’s Parts List No. 6, the 1918 and earlier frames use one piece leaf spring with two leaf throughout that are 1 Ĺ wide or if 1 ľ wide, an extra leaf was added to the rear curl, which yours frame has separate front and rear springs.
    The Roger’s Parts List No. 6 show an illustration of the Roger’s Aristocrat sidecar setup, but that frame is different than yours. The catalog does not show the standard Roger’s sidecar frame offered in that time period.
    The bracing up to the upper mounting, normal located under the seat, is the method used on the 1912-1914 Model E layouts, the H and later layouts were mounted on the rear frame/axle tubing, using a different type of tube clamp.
    I am sorry that I was not able to pin down the year of your Roger sidecar frame based on the information I have. I was only able to eliminate some Models and some years. Hopefully some of this was helpfully to you.
    Spacke2speed
    Spacke2speed,

Thank-you for the effort that it took to search through all that info. I am no longer the owner but hopefully it will beneficial to the current caretaker?
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Cory
    I actually enjoyed responding with the Rodger Sidecar information. It has been a while since I looked through it. The hard part was finding my zip lock bag with it all in.
    What I have is a replay from Rodgers about an inquiry from a person interested in a Rodgers sidecar in 1918. It also appears that the person also collected more information later as it include a range of years.
    It also may help other people also.
    I am sorry I do not know how to include/attach picture to this forum thing to help give you a visual answer.
    Spacke2speed

I think that at some point within the last year or so that somebody posted a pretty good tutorial on photo posting. Having said that, I can't seem to find it. You've got me interested now though so check your private messages.....
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953